Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law called me last night and was raving about how much better his truck runs and gets better mileage with non ethanol fuel. He said he learned about it from a group of snowmobilers who swear by it. Just was wondering if any of you have tried it and what you think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ethanol Fuel will get you less miliage for sure.

Most gasolines contain at least 10% ethanol (called E10). Some countries and states require fuel manufactures to add ethanol to gasoline, so many companies supply only E10 for lower octane fuels. Unless required by law, most high octane is non ethanol.

I got better gas miliage on my second tank of gas using the high octane gasoline. No ethanol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always ran premium in both the Spyder and Mr2. I'll have to look and see if Cheveron premium here in Boise is ethanol free. There are several places here that have signs out advertising that they only sell ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Warning! Warning Will Rogers! This post contains opinions of a political nature. Ethanol should be outlawed in all it's forms. It is harmful to engines first of all. It doesn't lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It is causing inflation in the supermarket big time and it is causing starvation around the world. On top of that many politicians and their cronies are getting very rich off of ethanol. Why do you think they made it mandatory? Think Al Gore and global warming and the money he has made off of it. Same thing with ethanol. Okay, I'm done. I'll get off my soapbox now. David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Warning! Warning Will Rogers! This post contains opinions of a political nature. Ethanol should be outlawed in all it's forms. It is harmful to engines first of all. It doesn't lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It is causing inflation in the supermarket big time and it is causing starvation around the world. On top of that many politicians and their cronies are getting very rich off of ethanol. Why do you think they made it mandatory? Think Al Gore and global warming and the money he has made off of it. Same thing with ethanol. Okay, I'm done. I'll get off my soapbox now. David
I agree. Corn is food and it driving food prices up. Why cant they use switch grass.. Hmm better idea ay. They r going to try to cram us to use15% eth soon

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like I read somewhere that they got better yealds from switch grass than corn or they could use hemp....but that another story all together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some gas stations have found that there is a market for premium non-ethanol fuel (even though, it's premium priced.) A station close to me has a steady stream of biker customers, including me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that they got better yealds from switch grass than corn or they could use hemp....but that another story all together.
Switchgrass is the lesser of two evils but it is evil nonetheless. It takes energy to produce and therefore has deminishing returns and more importantly farmers are using land that would otherwise be used for food production. Oil fuels the engine that is this nation's economy and at the present time there is no substitute - none. On top of that we have plentiful supplies of oil in all it's forms right here in the United States and offshore...if only we were allowed to go get it. Sorry, I said I would get off my soapbox...now I'm off. David

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Ethanol is no where near as good as gas.

Here is a good article article on a recent E85 vs. gasoline test: E85 vs. Gasoline Comparison Test — Edmunds.com

Warning... soapbox extension.... completely non-Spyder related: The US has badly messes with the supply and demand of most grains (with corn at the top of the list) through its misguided subsidies.... The subsidies lead to an overproduction of corn and inadvertently force it to be used in everything from ethanol to high fructose corn syrup. If you want to read an eye opening book on the topic (and other food things), I recommend "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.

Don't get me going on electric vehicles and the current battery technology limitations.... I think they will be really cool.... WHEN something better than Li-ion batteries appear.

Soap Box Closed :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
More like a revolving soap box door! Just leave it open, that's what forums are all about. HA HA

In AZ, we are forced to use gasoline with 10% Ethanol for about 8 months out of the year. It's not clear which direction the original thread was taking. Was Corybud talking about 10-15% Ethanol or 85% Ethanol(E85)?

Great Edmunds article! E85 gives you crap mileage because of the low BTu's as compared to gasoline or even 10% Ethanol. E85 is only marginally less expensive.

I agree that the whole E85 program was political from the beginning. On the plus side, it's making money for the American farmer for a product used in America in primarily(or maybe only) American cars. On the down side, political greasy palms made money as well. We can only hope those politicians used that money to buy something else American.

Spyder-sense

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually had not thought much about the question one way or the other. Now I am trying to find out if in Idaho they put ethanol in chevron premium grade gas. I am currently running Phillips non ethanol regular in our Suzuki SX4 to see if the mileage goes up. I have always ran premium in both the Can-Am Spyder and the Mr2 Spyder so if Chevron doesn't put ethanol in premium than I won't go to the trouble to get on the card lock program where they sell premium non ethanol gas. If they do I will go to the trouble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Physics says your mileage will be higher without the 10% Ethanol. Gasoline by itself has more heat energy(Btu) I question why you are running premium in your Spyder? The manual for my 2009 states 87 octane as the minimum grade. We had a 1994 S10 P/U that my wife drove most of the time. I lost a bet with her. She told me the truck got 20 mpg on 87 octane and only 18 mpg on premium. I took the bet and lost.
I know that BRP raised the compression of newer model Spyders. Actually less HP than the '09, but the powerband dropped to a lower RPM. Do these higher compression engines require more than 87 octane?

91 octane premium has 3-5% less Btu's than 87 octane. 10% Ethanol knocks that down by another 5%. With 87 octane in my '09 SE5, i have been getting 32-33mpg combined highway and city. 80mph is typical for 20 of the 37 mile drive.

Spyder-sense

1 - 13 of 13 Posts