Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 Spyder RT for my wife. Picked it up in Eau Claire Wisconsin. Test wrote it on some back roads but never had an opportunity to really open it up seemed like it had plenty of power in the lower gears. Coming home on the four lane I could run it up to 70 to 75 miles an hour in 5th gear then shift into 6th Gear and would start losing speed. Would not hold 70 miles an hour in 6th Gear. Thought I might have been bucking a headwind so took it for a ride again yesterday and the same problem. Seems to go from 0 to 70 no problem in 5th gear. Any ideas

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
IIt's an as is but seller has agreed to help pay for the repair but it would be nice to have an idea of what the problem is before I take it to a dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated
This likely will end up being expensive.
IF.....in 6th gear, the engine rev's up but the speed lags behind: Clutch. Maybe from wrong oil.
IF....it stumbles and won't rev good, then plugs, wires, coils or fuel system.
Also possible transmission problem.

First, I would give it a double dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas and ride it a bit......to see if the fuel system just needs some cleaning.
But if the rev's go up and the speed doesn't, dealer help will be required.

IF the previous owner admits to putting "car oil" in it, than an oil change or two might help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This likely will end up being expensive.
IF.....in 6th gear, the engine rev's up but the speed lags behind: Clutch. Maybe from wrong oil.
IF....it stumbles and won't rev good, then plugs, wires, coils or fuel system.
Also possible transmission problem.

First, I would give it a double dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas and ride it a bit......to see if the fuel system just needs some cleaning.
But if the rev's go up and the speed doesn't, dealer help will be required.

IF the previous owner admits to putting "car oil" in it, than an oil change or two might help.
It revs well in every gear except 6th Gear. Engine does not rev at all in 6th Gear. Thanks for the info. Is that berryman's B12 chemtool pretty available? I will try that first. Thanks again. One thing I forgot to mention was that fuel mileage was terrible down to like 17 18 miles to the gallon

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is that berryman's B12 chemtool pretty available?
Yes. All auto parts stores and even WalMart usually.
This is NOT the same as SeaFoam.
B12 is a much better cleaner.

Additional note: Sometimes loose or cracked vacuum hoses coming from the throttle body are a problem too.

The engine needs it's most power in the higher gears and it's power is down for some reason.
That is why it shows up in top gear. If it gets worse, it will show up in lower gears too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
52 -- you didn't say what RPM was at speed. My 90K miles 2014 is 3850 RPM at 77 MPH on cruise control.

You also didn't say miles driven or service history.

The low MPG is a serious concern.

After the B12 treatment I'd look at the HEGO sensor and catalytic convertor operation. Is the engine entering closed-loop operation once it's warmed up (2+ bars on the coolant temperature?) or is it always running open-loop (which will make the engine run rich)? And is the convertor free-flowing or damaged from overheating by the rich fuel mixture?

When were spark plugs replaced? If not replaced per schedule there are experts who say the coil-on-plug ignitors will degrade with failure expected at 50K miles.

Sludge in the throttle body is a possibility but the 1330cc engine seems to be a clean runner unless you are burning oil too. Check exhaust color.

As a data point, going up a 6% grade into a 40 MPH headwind in 6th gear my cruise control cannot hold 77 MPH and will gradually slow to about 65-70 MPH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
52 -- you didn't say what RPM was at speed. My 90K miles 2014 is 3850 RPM at 77 MPH on cruise control.

You also didn't say miles driven or service history.

The low MPG is a serious concern.

After the B12 treatment I'd look at the HEGO sensor and catalytic convertor operation. Is the engine entering closed-loop operation once it's warmed up (2+ bars on the coolant temperature?) or is it always running open-loop (which will make the engine run rich)? And is the convertor free-flowing or damaged from overheating by the rich fuel mixture?

When were spark plugs replaced? If not replaced per schedule there are experts who say the coil-on-plug ignitors will degrade with failure expected at 50K miles.

Sludge in the throttle body is a possibility but the 1330cc engine seems to be a clean runner unless you are burning oil too. Check exhaust color.

As a data point, going up a 6% grade into a 40 MPH headwind in 6th gear my cruise control cannot hold 77 MPH and will gradually slow to about 65-70 MPH.
I can run it up to 75 miles an hour in 5th gear RPM just under five grand. Shift into sixth RPMs go down to about 3850 but then the speed just keeps dropping. It will hold somewhere between 65 and 68 mph. It has 11,500 Mi on it, don't know much about the service record, temperature goes up into the fourth bar on the gauge. I don't know that I could climb a 6% grade with a 40 mile an hour headwind:confused:. I don't think I'd ever do it in sixth gear not the way this thing is running now. I ran very much through it two tanks now with the wife riding it. I took it out for a ride this afternoon and it still doing the same thing. U

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can run it up to 75 miles an hour in 5th gear RPM just under five grand. Shift into sixth RPMs go down to about 3850 but then the speed just keeps dropping. It will hold somewhere between 65 and 68 mph. It has 11,500 Mi on it, don't know much about the service record, temperature goes up into the fourth bar on the gauge. I don't know that I could climb a 6% grade with a 40 mile an hour headwind:confused:. I don't think I'd ever do it in sixth gear not the way this thing is running now. I ran very much through it two tanks now with the wife riding it. I took it out for a ride this afternoon and it still doing the same thing. U
One more thing I haven't been able to get the cruise to work. The speed that I'm talking about holding is with the throttle pegged

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a tough one. Based on engine vs road speed I'd say the clutch isn't slipping. So this is an engine power thing. I assume you're aware it's a throttle-by-wire engine control. And the cruise control is also on the right-side handgrip. And the ECU exerts major control over engine performance based on sensors and conditions. So could be a wiring issue there.

I keep returning something isn't right in the intake-to-exhaust path. Either a restriction or improper combustion (eg, running open loop even when warmed up). I think it's service manual time and walking that path. I'd start with air filter and catalytic convertor inspection then I hate to say it but spark plugs as they are an indicator of so many conditions. Although the HEGO is also a good indicator and easier to access. I'm betting that when you fix the low mileage problem the 6th gear engine power problem will disappear at the same time. Best wishes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Wouldn't it slip in all the gears when you're hitting them hard?
This is a tough one. Based on engine vs road speed I'd say the clutch isn't slipping. So this is an engine power thing. I assume you're aware it's a throttle-by-wire engine control. And the cruise control is also on the right-side handgrip. And the ECU exerts major control over engine performance based on sensors and conditions. So could be a wiring issue there.

I keep returning something isn't right in the intake-to-exhaust path. Either a restriction or improper combustion (eg, running open loop even when warmed up). I think it's service manual time and walking that path. I'd start with air filter and catalytic convertor inspection then I hate to say it but spark plugs as they are an indicator of so many conditions. Although the HEGO is also a good indicator and easier to access. I'm betting that when you fix the low mileage problem the 6th gear engine power problem will disappear at the same time. Best wishes.
Good info. Thanks for all your input Bert.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts