Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 08 last Saturday, with only 683 miles on it. Still don't know all of why the former owner wanted out, but pretty happy with it, so far. Here's the question. What to do for a backrest, when you REALLY want one, but don't want to pony up the $500-$700 bucks?

Here's the little item of interest. I wondered why I only got about 30 mpg coming up from NH, after I bought the thing. Noticed some seeds on the front lip of the gas tank, when I fueled up. Hmm. Wonder if some little creatures spent the last two winters in the intake? Yup. Changed the oil and filter the other night, because I couldn't confirm that that had been done at the 600 mile mark, even though all the recalls were done, and the oil looked real clean. Anyhow, I decided to get to the air cleaner and check. Every one of those 44 folds was packed with seeds, leaves, lint, nut shells, etc.! About a full quart of stuff in that air box! The engine doesn't seem to be loping at a steady throttle setting any more. Those little buggers!

BTW, this machine is litterally brand new, from all apearances. The little mold nubs were still on the centers of the tires, when I picked it up. Not a scratch, anywhere. Makes me wonder. Are there reasons why the 08's are being sold? Seems like I see a lot of them in the papers. Just wondering.
Thanks, Dick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see a fair number being sold because the rider just cant stand being the standout and thus taking the ribbing from regular riders......really it's a peer pressure thing! :rolleyes:

Next time you're under the tupperware be sure and eyeball the wiring as the critters like to chew on the insulation.:eek:

There's a couple of other things to check on the '08. In the fuse and relay box under the trunk lid see if there is foam in the lid, it's to hold down the relays which like to work themselves loose. If not put some in there.
Check the fuel lines from tank to throttle body some ran too close to the head and rubbed and some had loose clamps.
If you get the smell of gas when you come to a stop it means you have a charcoal cannister that has become saturated with liquid fuel (a common problem in the 08 and 09 models) consider a Cannisterectomy
Brakes that squeal and moan was also common. Ignore it if you can as it doesn't affect the braking. They can be made to shut up by braking hard but that only lasts for a while before it comes back.
Keep the parking brake lubricated right there under the peg or it likes to get stuck. A shot of WD-40 every oil change or every other month whichever comes first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comeback and good info.
Squealing brakes on a Bombardier are expected, I think. My old Traxter has squealed every day since 2000, when it was built! They're Brembos, too. Are these Brembos, on the Spyder, too?
I'll be looking into the issues that you pointed out, as well as the boiling fuel thing. I do smell gas, when I stop, after a short run.
I bit the bullet and ordered a backrest on E-Bay. Five bills is a lot of money, but I keep telling myself that it's $280 cheaper than Can Am. It's shocking, what they get for OEM parts, but the Traxter has taught me to expect some sticker shock.
How do you access the smilies on this site? I keep trying to use them, and get a letter "d", usually.
Have a good day, and thanks, again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do you access the smilies on this site? I keep trying to use them, and get a letter "d", usually.
Have a good day, and thanks, again.
To access the smilies :) you have to use the quote option at the bottom of the post in question. If you use the quick reply you don't get the option.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought my 08 last Saturday, with only 683 miles on it. Still don't know all of why the former owner wanted out, but pretty happy with it, so far. Here's the question. What to do for a backrest, when you REALLY want one, but don't want to pony up the $500-$700 bucks?

Here's the little item of interest. I wondered why I only got about 30 mpg coming up from NH, after I bought the thing. Noticed some seeds on the front lip of the gas tank, when I fueled up. Hmm. Wonder if some little creatures spent the last two winters in the intake? Yup. Changed the oil and filter the other night, because I couldn't confirm that that had been done at the 600 mile mark, even though all the recalls were done, and the oil looked real clean. Anyhow, I decided to get to the air cleaner and check. Every one of those 44 folds was packed with seeds, leaves, lint, nut shells, etc.! About a full quart of stuff in that air box! The engine doesn't seem to be loping at a steady throttle setting any more. Those little buggers!

BTW, this machine is litterally brand new, from all apearances. The little mold nubs were still on the centers of the tires, when I picked it up. Not a scratch, anywhere. Makes me wonder. Are there reasons why the 08's are being sold? Seems like I see a lot of them in the papers. Just wondering.
Thanks, Dick.
Did you buy the one in Meredith that I was going to see later this week?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you buy the one in Meredith that I was going to see later this week?
I dom't thimk so. Drat, my m key, actually the letter after m, ism't workimg! Feels like there's somethimg stuck umder it! Amyway, I bought mime im Lacomia. Cam't tell you how upsettig this is, (the missig letter!) This Gateway was mew im May! Backl to the Geak Squad.

Wish I had kmowm about Utopia soomer. A little late at this poit, I'm afraid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts