Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

i have been looking to buy a spyder lately.... and the only issue i have heard as a negative is that the computer pulls out power in cornering....

what can you tell me about this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
"pulls out power?"

The only time your power is reduced without rolling back the throttle is when the bike attempts to save your hide because you're being overly agressive ryding the roadster.

It's the Vehicle Stability System (VSS) that will cut engine rpm's to do what it can to keep all three wheels on the ground and the rider safe. It's a feature and a darn good one because riders can become overly confident far too fast on these Spyders. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with the above post... It is a safety system for stupid people!... I triggered mine once... and yeah.. I was being stupid.. I am glad it is on there.. Lovin the Spyder 1550 mi. in...Dave in TX

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Ditto

Without the VSS, the Spyder would not exist. I early development (pre-VSS) the Spyder program was nearly canceled because of stability issues.

The VSS is way smarter then the driver..... it uses inputs from an accelerometer, the brake abs sensors, and engine inputs. It knows when wheels are spinning when they shouldn't and when the center of gravity is going somewhere you don't want it to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The vss stuff is a pain. I have not disabled mine, but I have raised the threshold at which it kicks in WAY higher by replacing the entire suspension. About 40 or so percent of this can be accomplished by just replacing the sway bay.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I know this is a late post for you question. Perhaps you have already bought a spyder or have decided not to get one.
I have 1 significant piece of advice; If you intend to buy a new bike, make sure that all recall work has been accomplished. I bought a 2010 RT Se5 about 3 months ago. It came with clutch & steering problems. The rear shock also leaks. The place I bought it from is working on repairing it all but in the meantime I can't ride the bike much. BRP initiated aclutch recall before I bought the bike . I guess the dealer did not know about it. I am looking forward to having a well running bike.
Good Luck, ed mcmillan

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts