Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Lindy, and I'm picking up my first Spyder tomorrow!

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulation! What model and color did you get? I am still waiting for my Spyder to be delivered. I am told I should have it by the end of the month. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Congratulations to you, too!! Where are you buying yours from, and why is it taking a month to get? Good timing, though, for riding weather! :)

This is going to sound so girly, but I got a yellow one. :) They said its an RS. Am buying it used, from a private owner - I'm not sure what the differences are yet for the different models.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have seen several posts here where members have had to order their Spyders and then it takes months to come in. I don't understand this unless you want something very special or you have your mind made up on a very specific configuration or color and will not consider alternatives. The local dealer keeps 2 or 3 RS's and 2 or 3 RT's in stock at all times. He says he sells 8 - 10 a month. BTW I have a red RS outfitted almost exactly as yours except I also have the Givi hard saddlebags. David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Bob!! By the time we got her home last night, it was dark and too late for me to ride - I prefer all the advantages I can get until I get used to her. Tonight when I got home from work we geared up and took off. It was different at first, but I quickly got used to the feel. The seat is very comfortable; I've got tailbone issues, and didn't have any pain from riding at all. Nice!

We were out for about an hour, I guess. The lack of a hand brake had me grabbing air for awhile, but I think I've already gotten the hang of not doing that. Hope that doesn't cause problems when I try to ride a bike!!

I also paid attention to the sheer number of people who gave themselves whiplash looking. There were a lot of them!!

David, red is nice, too! Congrats! Are the saddlebags something that can be added after-market? I've got plenty of space in the trunk, but my husband would like a Spyder with all of the extra storage space.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, Bob!! By the time we got her home last night, it was dark and too late for me to ride - I prefer all the advantages I can get until I get used to her. Tonight when I got home from work we geared up and took off. It was different at first, but I quickly got used to the feel. The seat is very comfortable; I've got tailbone issues, and didn't have any pain from riding at all. Nice!

We were out for about an hour, I guess. The lack of a hand brake had me grabbing air for awhile, but I think I've already gotten the hang of not doing that. Hope that doesn't cause problems when I try to ride a bike!!

I also paid attention to the sheer number of people who gave themselves whiplash looking. There were a lot of them!!

David, red is nice, too! Congrats! Are the saddlebags something that can be added after-market? I've got plenty of space in the trunk, but my husband would like a Spyder with all of the extra storage space.
Yes, saddlebags are an aftermarket option with RS's (standard on the RT's). Can Am has their own and then there's Givi which I have. Probably the best looking ones are from Corbin. They are made the same color as your Spyder and look like they were molded into the body. They are a bit bigger than the Givi's. Totally gorgeous. The Givi's have an advantage I like very much however. When you remove them which is easy, they become hard suitcases with handles. Get to the motel just disconnect and carry your "luggage" inside. David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info on the bags. I'll mention it to him!

The ride tonight was fun, as well. I posted the problem I'm having with the mirror view in a separate thread. Hopefully there's a quick and easy fix for it. Easier than making my hand invisible, anyway.

My Manual that came with her says she's a GS. What does that mean in relation to RS or RT? Are RS and GS the same thing? The previous owner had her listed as an RS.

Guess I should warn you guys, I'm full of questions and not afraid to pick your brains!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went by the dealership there on Pellissippi Hwy and they told me if I wanted something that wasn't in their show room it would take up to 3 months. I am thinking of the new Limited one.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The GS and RS models are the same. They changed to "RS" to line up better with the new RT model last year.
Ah, great! Thanks, that explains it, then!!

KnoxRider, have you tried other dealerships near you? If you're willing to wait, 3 months is fine, but riding season is so close I can smell it... hate to waste it waiting.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've now had her 5 days, and have given the green light to my husband to sell the Yamaha Virago 750 I'd been riding.

Had no idea I'd become this addicted this quickly. There should be some sort of warning on the side!!!! :)

"Use of this Spyder may cause smiling, happiness, urge to ride, excessive wind in the face, desire to call in sick to work, or even extended vacations. Some riders have experienced double-takes, pointing, sudden camera flash, kids waving, and conversations with total strangers. Several instances of unplanned roadside visits with police officers have been reported, though are not common. Use Spyder responsibly. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your Spyder forum to discuss."
:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I went by the dealership there on Pellissippi Hwy and they told me if I wanted something that wasn't in their show room it would take up to 3 months. I am thinking of the new Limited one.
Cheers
Bob
Well, if you want a Limited then you would have to order it as you said. I don't think they have yet had one in stock and I have been in there several times in the past couple of months. However they do keep RS's and RT's on the showroom floor - several different flavors. Have you tried Mountain Motorsports in Kodak? Never been by there but have seen them from the road and have looked at their website. Alcoa Goodtimes is just a few minutes from home, Mountain Motorsports is about 45 minutes. David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had my first experience today with stopping for gas and NOT being asked a single question! Rather surreal... :D Almost had the withdrawals...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts