Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pray tell, how does the Spyder handle on the slush and ice? Those are some pretty rides, thinking about a road trip to New Mexico!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pray tell, how does the Spyder handle on the slush and ice? Those are some pretty rides, thinking about a road trip to New Mexico!
Come on out for a ride! I'd love to show you around!
As for the slush--no issues. I just clutch it and coast over the bad parts. On the snow--that was a different story. The back wheel kept kicking out, and when I stopped--it just spun back there. So I had to dismount and push the bike and get some momentum, hop back on, and then I was okay again. I like that kind of stuff though. For me it's a lot of fun to throw some craziness in there! :)

--ABQ

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
brrrrrrrrr

too cold for me..

now the $64 question

how did you mount the camera to get the various views? and how do you know if it's even pointing in the proper direction?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brrrrrrrrr

too cold for me..

now the $64 question

how did you mount the camera to get the various views? and how do you know if it's even pointing in the proper direction?

I use the Drift HD 170 Stealth (costs about $160). It has a screen on it so you can review your videos. It comes with a handlebar mount (designed for a bicycle, but fits on the Spyder handlebars). I use that mount on the handlebars and also on the rear pegs to get those "behind the feet" shots. I also buy a $3 pack of velcro from Lowe's and use that to stick it in various locations. I have a separate helmet for my "helmet cam", but didn't have it on this trip. So I put some velcro on the side of my good helmet and just stuck the camera to it. :) The Drift comes with a remote, so I would use the remote to take a picture, and then check on the screen to see if I liked the angle. If the angle was no good--I would simply make whatever minor adjustment was needed. If I had someone to ride with I would probably annoy the crap out of them because I do stop every so often to move the camera to a new location. I like to do this because I feel like it makes the movie more entertaining.
Hope this helps!

--ABQ

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
yeah I have the same camera and intend on using it a lot this year..

you say the bike mount that comes with it works on the bars?

I would have never have thought of it being big enough to do that,,

I bought the suction cup attachment and am going to find a place on the front someplace to mount it. I also bought some heavy duty fishing line to make sure that i won't see it leaving a trail of parts behind me.

I am also thinking of gettin the new smaller Drift HD for helmet mounting, but just started looking into that

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stealth works great for helmet mounting. And the handlebar attachment works well on my RS. I don't know about RT handlebars. You just take out the screw and it stretches over the RS's handlebars. It also fits well on the rear passenger handgrips and the pegs. Let me know how the suction cup mount works. I bought a suction cup mount and it's not so great, but it's not the Drift mount. I'm curious how the Drift mount works.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
sounds like a deal.. the guys at the shop have the drift suction cup holding a bunch of junk..

they never spit on it or anything and hold well upside down

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Mexico ride

the movie is great , very professional. The new mex. mountains are great to ride in . I know ,i live in nm, but on east side .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brrrrrrrrr

too cold for me..

now the $64 question

Hey Pal,
I just got the Drift suction cup mount and the monopod yesterday. Both are great investments--especially the mount. It feels like it's glued on the bike. Absolutely amazing--and very good quality on both items. FYI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts