Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my wife is looking at trading in her piaggio 300cc scooter for a Spyder. I've been looking at them, as has my wife, to do our research before pulling the trigger. She's not comfortable on the twisty pavement and gravel road we live on with the two wheeler.

I have a few questions, so I am looking for confirmation from people who have the vehicles.

1) Does the RS come with a fuel gauge? Doesn't look like it...

2) Can you get the heated grips on the RS? It looks like it's reserved for the higher packages. Can they be added aftermarket easy enough (I've been told I will not be allowed to hack into the electrical like I did on my own bike).

3) Can you get the seating position of the RT on the RS by changing the seat and raising the bars?

4) What's maintenance like cost-wyse? Is it a DIY thing for the most part? I am able to do oil, filter, airbox, tires, and I have done a valve adjust on my KLR650.

That's all I can come up with for now.. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a RT so I can't answer most of the RS questions...

But I believe the RS does come with a fuel gauge on the LCD. Also, on gravel the RT feels very stable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The RS does have a fuel guage just as the RT does. The RS does not come with heated grips either end as the RT does. I don't know how easy they are to add as that has not been an issue with me.

As for the seating position/handle bars there are lots of options to think about. I never was very pleased with the stock RS seat and ended up with the BRP comfort seat and like it a lot. Corbin also makes after market seats that I am told are very very nice. Handle bar risers come in many types and sizes. I have tried several and find I like the Kewlmetel 7" risers the best so far. They come closest in my opinion to the RT position seating wise without having to change wiring and cables. The downside of these bars is the console that houses the ignition switch partially blocks the guage cluster and you have to lean around to see the fuel guage on one side and lean the other way to see the temp guage. Maybe not an issue for someone taller.

As far as maintenance goes my 2010 was recalled along with all spyders for the DPS steering issue and had the gen 3 brake pads put on. The 600 mile service at my dealer was about 300.00 which I thought was a little high. I would say the main thing the dealer would do at least in my case is the belt service I.E.....changing or adjusting. Most other service should be able to be done by the owner if he/she is comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info. thanks. good to know that there is a fuel gauge. that was her main reason for wanting to skip the RS.

I have 1.5" risers on my KLR. I didn't know they made some that go 7" rise.

$300 does sound pricey for service, but I guess I could do some myself and save some money on the basic stuff.

Is the service interval the usual 3month/3000mile (or 5000km)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought an RT in June. I've been on 2 wheels for over 40 yrs. but finally got tired of white knuckling it down 13 miles of gravel and the older I get the heavier the Kawasaki Nomad got. I have put over 1,000 miles on it so far, not too many but am describing it to people who ask why is "it eats the gravel not the other way around". I took a 300 mile ride the other day, a lot of twisty turnies and using the full body workout, placing my body on the inside of the curve side of the bike I was able to do 50 - 60 around 30 mph curves. And a few times I had my heart going at aerobic speeds, that is always a good ride for me when that happens. I am female and am only 5ft 2in and am really learning to love my new Spyder.

·
Registered
33 Posts

We bought the 2011 spyder limited in July. Being a lady, I am not scared to get on this and ride to my hearts content. I understand that it is more stable that the harley trike. I haven't had any issues so far and I find it to be really comfortable for me. I'm 5'5" and the seating and handlebars work fine. Oh, and by the way, I've never driven a two wheeler before in my life.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is great info, and good to hear from the ladies too.
We went to the local BRP store yesterday... terrible hours, but that's a different story. Anyways, before they closed we looked at all the offerings for the Spyder.
My wife liked the RT 'feel' the most (seating position, feel, etc), but she found the RT was so massive, it was intimidating. She liked the size of the RS more, but found the forward lean put pressure on the wrists.
The dealer had an RS there that had some extras they bolted on; 3" riser block, taller windscreen, comfort seat, wind deflectors for the knees, hard luggage, passenger backrest.

I think we'd take the windshield and maybe the knee wind deflectors. My wife wants the Corbin saddle because you can get a driver backrest, and she wants the bars more in the position of the RT with less forward lean, so I'd probably get the KewlMetal 7" bars for her.

If you reposition the bars to a more upright seating position on the RS, do you have to modify the footbrake in anyway as you have less forward lean?

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
you can also go to utopia.com (everytime i put the www addy it goes to some wierd place so put the rest of the addy in yourself ) and get a back rest only instead of buying the Corbin. alot cheaper, but you have to install it yourself, but not too super hard

I have been reading horror stories about the quality of the Corbin seats so i am rethinking about getting one over the winter

i also saw one the other day on a big goldwing and dang thing was hard as a rock and was not new. guy had to have 3 cushions on it

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
If you reposition the bars to a more upright seating position on the RS, do you have to modify the footbrake in anyway as you have less forward lean?
Good question!
I'm not sure about the RS model, but the RTs have a threaded link in the system that hooks the pedal to the "plunger" You might want to take a look under there to see if yours is the same...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think you would re-position the foot brake but since I use the hand brake can't swear to it. Hope this goes through......Tried responding to a private message and post with no luck

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK looks like it is going to let me post at least.

The Kewlmetal site is: Kewlmetal.net

The part numbers for the plain console is KD-224, fancy inlay console KD-223 and for the 7" pull back bars is KD-226.

As I said I tried to respond to your private message with no luck but maybe can get it done here.

My biggest problem putting the new bars on was getting all the little screws off the underside of the stock bar cover. My 1/4" driver was to thick to fit where I needed it and my extensions were either to long or to short. Pay attention to the part in the instructions where it says "WRAP A TOWEL AROUND THE WORK AREA SO YOU DON'T LOSE S#%T" I unfortunatly did not pay attention and spent a lot of extra time looking for stuff I dropped into what turned out to be a very tricky place to find lost nuts and bolts. I found that taking off the top cover (in front of the seat), windshield, and front side covers helped in finding the zip ties you need to cut.

All in all the process is not bad if you are comfortable doing this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
you can also go to utopia.com (everytime i put the www addy it goes to some wierd place so put the rest of the addy in yourself ) and get a back rest only instead of buying the Corbin. alot cheaper, but you have to install it yourself, but not too super hard

I have been reading horror stories about the quality of the Corbin seats so i am rethinking about getting one over the winter

i also saw one the other day on a big goldwing and dang thing was hard as a rock and was not new. guy had to have 3 cushions on it
I found the site.. it's www.utpr.com . I went to utopia.com and it was for incense sticks. lol.
I have a Corbin seat on my KLR650. I like it, but it is rock hard. My wife hates it. If that goldwing Corbin was hard too, I'm thinking maybe it's just the foam they use. Sucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK looks like it is going to let me post at least.

The Kewlmetal site is: Kewlmetal.net

The part numbers for the plain console is KD-224, fancy inlay console KD-223 and for the 7" pull back bars is KD-226.

As I said I tried to respond to your private message with no luck but maybe can get it done here.

My biggest problem putting the new bars on was getting all the little screws off the underside of the stock bar cover. My 1/4" driver was to thick to fit where I needed it and my extensions were either to long or to short. Pay attention to the part in the instructions where it says "WRAP A TOWEL AROUND THE WORK AREA SO YOU DON'T LOSE S#%T" I unfortunatly did not pay attention and spent a lot of extra time looking for stuff I dropped into what turned out to be a very tricky place to find lost nuts and bolts. I found that taking off the top cover (in front of the seat), windshield, and front side covers helped in finding the zip ties you need to cut.

All in all the process is not bad if you are comfortable doing this kind of stuff.
Thanks! I am pretty comfortable with that sort of thing, I am slow though. And I will take special care to use a towel to cover the void. I hate having to fish around for bits I drop.
Big thanks for the part numbers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As far as seats go I really did not like the stock RS seat but I really do like the BRP RS comfort seat. In my opinion the BRP comfort seat looks much better than the stock RS seat and is a lot nicer on the rear end. I got mine from an outfit out of Texas on ebay for about $350.00 with free shipping. Looked at the Corbin and thought it was a bit pricey for what you got.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love the RT. I have a little over 800 miles in a little less than a month. Also have a2006 Vespa GTS 250 i.e. that I just can't seem to part with. I love the thing to death. Piaggio can sure make a good ride. Your wife will love the spyder. It took me a couple of days to get used to the ride but it is a sweet one. The Vespa is now a backup for when the spyder is in the shop. Best of luck on your decision.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
yeah for some reason www addies are being changed to goofy places

don't know if it the forum that's doing it or something else weird going on

the Utopia backrest is one of the things that so far for me has made it bearable to ride for more than a hundred miles or so

since I have never ridden a bike before I think I still need to learn how to relax more and get muscles used to new pressure places.

the other thing that really is helping is Air Hawks ( google them ) so between the 2 my tubby old butt and thighs are able to to handle 200+ k's now

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you decide that 7" risers are too tall, I've got a set of helibar 4.5" risers for sale that were only installed for a few minutes. I've got a little stretch to get from the handlebar to the clutch, and the riser wasn't helping me do that like I thought it might. Different angle and all. Anyway, holler if you're interested.

The changes I've made to my bike are the mirror extensions - there are two companies that make them, one straight out and one up and out, and I took the straight out because it works with my touring windshield as well as the stock - and the heat deflectors for the '08 RS. So far that's all I've changed, and I'm having a ball!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is great info, and good to hear from the ladies too.
We went to the local BRP store yesterday... terrible hours, but that's a different story. Anyways, before they closed we looked at all the offerings for the Spyder.
My wife liked the RT 'feel' the most (seating position, feel, etc), but she found the RT was so massive, it was intimidating. She liked the size of the RS more, but found the forward lean put pressure on the wrists.
The dealer had an RS there that had some extras they bolted on; 3" riser block, taller windscreen, comfort seat, wind deflectors for the knees, hard luggage, passenger backrest.

I think we'd take the windshield and maybe the knee wind deflectors. My wife wants the Corbin saddle because you can get a driver backrest, and she wants the bars more in the position of the RT with less forward lean, so I'd probably get the KewlMetal 7" bars for her.

I have the RS and modified the handlebars with the 4" riser kit found here. Can Am Spyder Footpegs, Grips and Accessories

These do require the handlebars to be but and modified. It puts you up and closer. Some don't like the look of it when it's done. I like it. I tried to ride it with the stock bars but, like your wife, was very uncomfortable (I'm to old :D) It's much more comfortable now. It would have liked something a little bit closer but with this option it doesn't block the view of the gauges. I did not have to modify the foot brake either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Far as I know they all have a fuel gauge. Look to the right bottom of the speedometer. It is bars.

Heated grips are after market.

The seat is the seat. Corbin makes one that is a two piece and you can get back rests. about $1,000.00.

Ride it and enjoy it. Get your local upholstery shop to Gel pad your seat it does help. I have a 2009 RS we love it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts