Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching, reading and watching videos about the Spyder RT series for months now.
In short, this is the "perfect" ride for my wife and I.
After 40 years of riding on 2 wheels, I'm well aware that I need to take a lot of time getting proficient at operating and driving this vehicle due to the differences in operation ergonimics and driving/handling characteristics, so that's not my concern.
What is, is the reliability and potentially very dangerous situations which could happen due to the failure of all the advanced technological features such as the ABS, traction control, electric throttle and PS assist, etc.
I'm looking at buying a new, 2021 so I don't know how much of my concerns could be addressed because I don't know how much the components have been changed over previous years.

This bike will be my last, and with the investment being made, I'm hoping for guidance from those of you who've had a lot of experience with the Spyder.

Am I being paranoid, or are my concerns valid?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts

Yes and no. In that order. :)

Forums like this tend to make the reliability of almost ANY vehicle look a LOT worse that it really is........because the forum is a magnet for people having problems. Those who are perfectly happy never visit just to chat.

Before you shell out big bucks for a brand new one, pay careful attention to the "electronic dashboard" and all the things that you CAN'T do without a compatible smart phone.

My '17 has the fully integrated audio package from the factory......radio, intercom, GPS and CB......and I would not have one of the new ones. Some people are perfectly happy with them but it seems that many are NOT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mark S -- as you probably know Bombardier builds aircraft and other highly engineered systems. While the Spyder has some curvy bodywork on a prosaic chassis with many outsourced components, I think Can-Am had help from the Bombardier software engineers to provide a capable, redundant, self-monitoring vehicle stability system equal to today's cars. You're in good hands for that aspect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been researching, reading and watching videos about the Spyder RT series for months now.
In short, this is the "perfect" ride for my wife and I.

Riding 2 wheels since '88 and have a bunch of Spyder friends and I have been researching them and learning how to work on them as dealer support is weak.

I had concerns about mechanical issues but like Easy Rider said forums magnify things still there are videos of owners that had a new spyder at the dealer for 3 to 6 months for warranty work.

I have trust issues around BRP / dealer training ... low sales volume limits what dealers will invest in mechanic training.

...root-cause of failures needs to be better established on Spyders as I know a big rider (260+ lbs) that hammers on his ~ 4? year old F3 with a loud pipe and puts ~ 8K miles /yr and it continues to run.

Software issues .... I currently ride a 2012 NC700X with almost 40K miles and it is rock solid yet on forums I come across weird problems that I never had and I turn my own wrench. However, my BMW K75 needed constant work so I'm done with BMW MC's recently a friend got his 2003 K1200 LT back from the dealer ... $4,300 for a new clutch and some related work because the design requires tearing half the bike apart.

I look for how easy it is to access the engine for repair esp if you get a repeat issue and as the vehicle ages.

I recommend you start with a USED Spyder and from a non-dealer and If you can't trust that then don't buy a new one as they depreciate fast in the first few years. If you have good results then upgrade to new.

Ryker 900 ACE Rally + $1500 for a full luggage system is worth looking at because the design is newer and improved: shaft drive, CVT "real" AT transmission (not complex manual shift with electronic gear shifters added on), less body work to take off and on a trip you could tow a trailer for even more storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts