Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
I´m a new member with a 2009 Spyder GS SM5. I just installed a new ignition switch and keys. Completed the installation and attemped to start it but got a bad key message. Can anyone help me?
Alas you have done only half the job.

The keys contain an RFID chip which the security system "reads" before it starts.
Your new keys do not match the RFID signature that is stored in the security module.
New keys can NOT be programmed into the computer without one of the old keys present.
I hope you still have one of the old original ones.

Either way, you need to see a dealer to reprogram the keys if you have an old one.......or to turn OFF the key security feature.

Since the Spyder won't run now, you need to call or visit dealers in your area to find one that can help you. You may need proof of ownership to show that it isn't stolen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need a master key to get your keys programed to your DESS. Don't know if you need an original key for sure. Check with a dealer who will have the master key. You may have to change the DESS MODULE to. On your year you cannot disable the DESS MODULE as mentioned in the other post that starTed with 2014 models not every dealer will do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts