Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Getting a little upset with the wifes new RT-S. Sat. we headed out for a short ride to get her use to the new bike, about 2 miles down the road she pulls over, the Check DPS warning came up. Rode home and shut it off for a minute and restarted- no more light. Today rode out to eat, about 20 miles, on the way home she pulls over again DPS light plus check engine. Only about 1/4 mile from home, then the limp home mode light. shut the engine off and restarted and all cleared. Read on another post about riding the brake messing with the computer, think she does ride the brake some, so I guess we'll have to work on that. Hope this all that is going on cause she loves the bike and knows I won't keep it around if we can't depend on it to ride. This is our first Can-am and things are not off to a good start!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Make sure that the front tires are withing 1/2 PSI of each other. I was having a similar problem until I adjusted the air pressure in the front tires.

If that does not work, bump the front pressure up some. The dealer delivered my Spyder with only 14 PSI. 18 is suppose to be the maximum on my RT Ldt, but I actually run 20. Made a world of difference in the handling.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to get the exact same readouts on a daily basis when I first started riding mine. I then had a ISCI handbrake and footboard installed. I haven't had a single error since! Just barely touching the footpedal without activating the brakes is enough to cause a computer response. I just hope that through these forums the word will get out, otherwise there'll be a lot of frustrated new riders out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm pretty sure the problems were caused by my wife riding with her foot on the brake. She will have to pay more attention to this. Checked for codes, nothing came up. Just have to keep riding and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If your wife rides the brake, she will get a limp mode each time. I had about 300 miles and had limp mode, knew I was riding the brake, I paid more attention and stopped doing it and no more limp mode.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hijack here...
George,
When you switch from 'Wing to RTS; does it take you any time to make the transition from one to the other?
Bob, I have to think a little for about 1/4 mile or so as shift points are different and I have the SE5 vs GW manual shift. After 1/2 mile I am settled in on whichever scoot I am riding. The GW is a little heavier steering at slower speeds, but not a problem. (I have a 4.5 degree rake kit on "Punkin')

I have a set of Cobras on the Wing and the sound is much different from BR1. A sound to die for....ha ha. Bob, I love both trikes...but they are different animals, both having strong and weak points...

At 70 on the Interstate, where I have to ride to meet my San Antonio group, both are like sitting in my Lazy Boy....I plan on keeping both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spyder problems too

I'm having the same problems that paridgerunner is having. Getting the run around from the dealer and BRP. This is my second Spyder, so i'm not riding the brake . Really frustrated and sorry I traded my 2009 in for this RT. Really appreciate the instructions for checking the codes as I have spent many hours back and forth towing this RT. If I ever get it back I will check the codes myself and then call the dealer. BRP does not respond timely nor are they very helpful. Purchased this RT middle of Sept and the "check engine" the "Check DPS", and "Limp Home" all three have gone off 6 times.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
You might have a couple of sensors not talking to one another... Steering angle and yaw sensors can casue trouble if they're not on the same page...
You might also have something in the braking system that isn't set quite correctly. It might be reading as if you ARE on the brakes when in fact you aren't... Have them check down there too!
Please let us know what they find, and good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

So glad for the information, talked to the dealer this morning and they will check things out. This information is keeping me focused as I thought I was the only one having trouble. I really love the machine when it doesn't flash orange screens at me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE the handle bar error ,check engine error brake error .parking brake lite stays lit but works ok. have gotten a limp home lite on occasion . refuses to idle correctly unless I add injector cleaner definitely dislikes ethanol products .use hi test gas plus injector fluid to get a smooth ride , has twice balked and stuttered ,lost power after 20 minutes at 60/65 cleans itself up after usually 20 minutes of balky riding. dealers so far seemed baffled but don't hesitate to charge me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts