Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I did it. :) I just purchased a 2011 Spyder RS-S, the matte black/orange one with semi auto transmission. I had it delivered because I didn't feel comfortable driving it for the first time in the hell that is W/S, NC lol. I just got back from a short ride (wanted to go longer but it started raining on me and it was terribly cold), and I have to say, I liked it alot!

At first, hitting the first slight corner, it felt as if I was going to fly right off the bike. Then when I hit the second corner, I decided to lean into it slightly. In addition to nearly removing that feeling of being thrown off, I noticed that it extends your opposite arm. That arm just happens to be pushing the handlebars in the right direction to negotiate the turn. It works perfectly, and felt great. It really only took me about a mile or so to start feeling really comfortable with it. What's scary is that I feel almost too trusting in it. It was raining, and I was taking curves at about 50-60mph on my first ride. No way I'd do that on my bike. But there's still something to say about that. The Spyder works, and is an awesome fun ride! When I got back, I just HAD to try it.....yep....I laid a skidmark all the way down our very long driveway hahaha. I know I probably shouldn't have done that yet, as it's still in break-in, but I just couldn't help myself.

The sale experience was also perfect. Honda of Winston Salem was absolutely great. They came to my house to pick up my old bike (for trade in), and delivered my Spyder all in the same day. Through negotiations, they even threw in the aftermarket exhaust of my choice (Two Bros Dual Carbon)!!! Can't wait to get that installed! I paid sticker, but I have to say, I don't feel ripped off. I felt like I got a great deal, and the customer service is one to envy. Those guys rock.

We also placed a deposit on a 2010 Pearl White RS-S with upgraded wheels and the passenger backrest thingy, for my wife. We'll pick that up for her in a couple of weeks.

So as you can tell, I'm excited as hell. I was worried sick that I wouldn't like the ride (as noted in my other thread). But I'm sold. If anyone else out there is still like I was these last few days, trust me, don't worry about it. You're gonna love it once you try it. I have to say anyone that scoffs at it is just a stubborn, set-in-their-ways person. These things are great!

Pics later, cause it's raining now. :(

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Congratulations! Like I said, you got my favorite color and the pearl white your wife is getting also looks very cool. Glad you enjoyed your first ride, it is good to hear you felt comfortable even in the rain. I've gotta hunch, the more you ride it, the more you'll like it. I've only ridden a semi auto once, but it was a lot of fun... my first bike was a Suzuki (50cc :eek:), it had a similar semi-auto .... back in 1976 (foot shift with no clutch.... but the same idea).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from riding about a 15 mile loop through city and country roads. This thing is awesome! It's just so comfortable (when compared to my Ducati 848)! When at a light, you can just sit there and relax with your foot on the brake. Handling is just fine. Takes some getting used to, but I'm already taking curves MUCH faster than I did on my bike (yeah I was a n00b on a bike). My wife is out riding it now, going the same loop. She's trying to get in some practice before she purchases hers.

Couple of things to note. I passed 3 motorcycles, and not even one rider did the "wave". Pfft. The way I see it, these are like Sea-doos when compared to stand-up jetskis. One takes skill to ride efficiently, the other is just to have fun on while relaxing. Both serve the same purpose, and are similar in their own way. Haters gonna hate though. Oh well. I'm having fun, and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I love it.

The other thing is that the top-end seems a bit low. I mean it has some MEAN acceleration, but 4th and 5th seem a bit weak. I haven't maxed it of course, but in the last 2 gears at 65 or 70, it just loses torque. I'd love to find a way to increase the HP of this thing.

The grips. Holy hell they hurt lol. Maybe I'm gripping them too tight, but they just dig into your hands (without gloves). Gonna have to get some new ones for sure.

Usurp - We haven't agreed on a final price yet, but the sticker is 18,799. It has 1 or 2 extras added to it. Figured we'd try to work on that a bit or have something thrown in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Top end is 110 mph (governed) for a reason. Try going that fast and see if you actually would want to go even faster. I've had mine at about 105 and it didn't feel stable at all. It wanted to wander back and forth. This is not a problem on the interstate at 70 but it will make you very nervous at 100+. If you get more horsepower it will be for acceleration only - not top end. If you want to go really, really fast get a sportbike but then because of your background I think you already know that. David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the group, Vhrayne! Spyders are entirely too much fun... I agree, once you get the hang of it, its preferable to the bike. For me it is, anyway! I also enjoy the sitting and relaxing at the stop lights - added bonus!

How did your wife like the test drive?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She likes it alot, although I don't think quite as much as me. She really loves riding her Ninja 250. For me the change in comfort is drastic, coming from my old bike, but for her, she says there isn't any comfort change other than the stability factor.

As for handling, she's used to it now I believe. I was following her in the minivan with the kids the other night, and it was tough to keep up with her hehe.

She's actually said to me, "Maybe we need to get the RT's." lol. I really didn't know what to say to that. If she wants one, that's ok. But I think I'd just stick with the sport.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
She likes it alot, although I don't think quite as much as me. She really loves riding her Ninja 250. For me the change in comfort is drastic, coming from my old bike, but for her, she says there isn't any comfort change other than the stability factor.

As for handling, she's used to it now I believe. I was following her in the minivan with the kids the other night, and it was tough to keep up with her hehe.

She's actually said to me, "Maybe we need to get the RT's." lol. I really didn't know what to say to that. If she wants one, that's ok. But I think I'd just stick with the sport.
If she likes to take it to the grocery store.... the RT would be a pretty good thing, tons of places to carry groceries.

When your kids graduate from riding in the minivan, they can use the sport to chase you and your wife on the RT (or visa-versa?) :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If she likes to take it to the grocery store.... the RT would be a pretty good thing, tons of places to carry groceries.

When your kids graduate from riding in the minivan, they can use the sport to chase you and your wife on the RT (or visa-versa?) :D
Haha, that would be awesome. :) I love my kids (3, 5, 6) but I can't wait until they are old enough to take part in some of the REALLY fun stuff, like Spyders.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, congrats on your purchase!! Did I miss pics? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at buying an RT Limited and looking for someone whoi has one and can give me some convincing reasons to part with this much money. ( Also I can use this to convince the "boss" lol.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Looking at buying an RT Limited and looking for someone who has one and can give me some convincing reasons to part with this much money. (Also I can use this to convince the "boss" lol.)
Money is not as much fun to ride and we make money to enjoy the things it buys :D But seriously, if you are one that likes riding a motorcycle/touring cycle the Spyder it hands down the most safe way to enjoy the sport. It has both ABS and traction control and as I've said many times before, it is big (wide) enough that car drivers see it (it does not get missed like a motorcycle). As for the RT, it is extremely comfortable for long rides (great riding position) and has plenty of storage... and you can get a trailer :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Money is not as much fun to ride and we make money to enjoy the things it buys :D But seriously, if you are one that likes riding a motorcycle/touring cycle the Spyder it hands down the most safe way to enjoy the sport. It has both ABS and traction control and as I've said many times before, it is big (wide) enough that car drivers see it (it does not get missed like a motorcycle). As for the RT, it is extremely comfortable for long rides (great riding position) and has plenty of storage... and you can get a trailer :)
Thx for the response Spyderman-

I had a big cruiser and really enjoyed it until I watched our friends hit a herd of big horn sheep right in front of us. It freaked my wife out ( me too ) so much, that I decided to sell it. I also was finding it hard on the back because I'm a shorter rider and couldn't get a riser put on without changing all the cables etc. I have been looking at the spyder for 2 years now and I think I have her convinced that it would be much safer and more comfortable. I guess I'm just looking for more ammo. for her and I suppose a push for me.

Thx
for any other input

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi, Joker -

Can't help with the comfort specs on the RT. I ride an RS (or a GS as they were called in '08). I can, however, vouch for the safety factor of 3 wheels as well as the viewability. I can't tell you how many times I've had my picture taken, been pointed at, and slowed down so people could get a gander at my ride from all angles. I've had questions at gas stations, rest stops, and even going down the road... that's how visible the Spyder is to other motorists.

The safety of the ABS and stability control is a major plus. I've only ridden passenger on my ride around the backyard, so have limited input as far as that part of the program goes, but the driving is unlike anything else I've experienced, and yes, I rode a motorcycle before I bought my Spyder.

No dollar amount is comparable to the piece of mind. If she has questions and wants to chat about them, I'm happy to answer anything I can... from a girl's point of view!!

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the convincing portion of the program! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts