Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went from 2 wheels to 3 wheels for one reason only. 13 miles of gravel road. I have been riding my Kawasaki Nomad less and less because I dreaded fighting the gravel each time both in and out of our place. Last year we were able to rent a storage unit for our bikes but too much flooding made storage units unavailable this year. So, just bought a Spyder RT. LOVE it on the gravel, it's like driving an ATV (4 wheeler). Still getting use to it on the highway, I love going fast around curves on 2 wheels, haven't accomplished that with the spyder yet, but I have only had it for a week. :} Any pointers and tips will be greatly appreciated. I also would love to find some floorboards and heel/toe shifter for it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome!

The most helpful tip I've found was to drop your hip down off the inside of the seat in a curve to counteract the centrifugal force and not feel like you're being thrown off the byke. Makes a world of difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, I am only 5 ft. 2. A BMW is way too tall for me, even though I have long legs for a short person, (snicker) they can't lower a BMW enough for me. One of my husband's bikes was a KLR, but that was too tall for comfort on the gravel and top heavy for even him, he's over 6 ft, so he just traded it off on a sport touring bike. I have kept my 1986 Kawasaki 454 for my "2-wheel" fix. Just can't part with her, she's been to Alaska and coast to coast in her life time.

Sassapnts: I went on a 300 mile ride last week through some nice twisty turnies and I had the whole body workout, doing as you suggested, throwing my body to the inside curve and was able to come out of a 30 mph curve between 50 and 60 mph. YEEHAA! She sure is eating the gravel and I now have over 1,000 miles on her and I'm really learning what she can do. I'm starting to be really impressed. One problem that I've had since day 1 is the analog tac and speedometer don't work on the gravel, they stick. I've had it into the shop but nothing shows as being wrong and of course they work when the mechanic looks at it. : )

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Lady, I'm glad the hip thing helped; it made a world of difference for me. :D Not sure what to tell you on the tac on gravel... that's new in my limited knowledge and time on the board!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts