Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 2021 RT Limited.

Took the Can Am class at the local community college. 47 years of 2 wheelers made getting used to it a challenge. The course helped a lot.

Now ever since new (200 miles ago) it runs for about 15 minutes and the throws a Suspension Failure C210A code.

It seems to ride the same before and after it throws the code. It happens one or two up.

I had the dealer look at it today, but of course it was fine when they cleared the code and test rode it. Then on the 15 mile ride home it threw it again.

So an auspicious start but so far it seems like fun.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
Alas, this is not unusual.......for there to be a fault with the automatic suspension because it wasn't put together right.

It also is not unusual for the "mechanics" at the shops to be totally incompetent.

If they would actually INSPECT the components of the suspension system, the problem likely would be obvious.
Make an appointment to leave it at the shop and insist on a "loaner" while it is there.
If you get any flack, talk to the OWNER of the dealership.....and/or call BRP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to be fair I went to the dealer to buy some new helmets on a Saturday afternoon, and the only person there was the shop manager, the techs were off for the holiday weekend. He did spend a couple of hours looking at it but didn't want to hold me up while we waited. He couldn't reproduce it, but said bring it back straight away if it happened again. He seemed very polite and quite knowledgeable so I cannot complain about the dealership at all. Very friendly and concerned. So all in all I'm sure the dealer techs and I will have to work together to figure it out on a trial and test basis as it seems intermittent. So I have no complaints yet, these things happen sometimes on a new vehicle, the test will be in how they fix it. I don't need a loaner in the meantime, I have other options, but I will see how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish you luck.
Hope they don't tell you that you will have to leave it for a month or two before they can "get to it".
Well, we shall see. For the moment I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, the shop manager was very helpful and tried the obvious things, but at 3.00 pm on a Saturday there was only so much he could do. It seemed OK to ride and it didn't do anything untoward even two up, so I think it might just be a case of not calibrating within the margins set. It didn't lose all suspension or damping, nor did it bounce up and down, it seemed all under control. It did the same thing while I was at the Can Am / Community College class, but it seemed to handle well enough. I'll take it back next week and leave it running with the code reporting so they can see what is happening. I'll keep you posted as to what they find.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
It didn't lose all suspension or damping, nor did it bounce up and down, it seemed all under control.
Not surprising.
A really LOT of people don't understand what the "automatic" part of the rear suspension actually DOES.

Even if the compressor quits or the "air bag" gets a hole, there still is a shock and spring back there providing the basic functions.

The adjustable part just adds a bit of spring rate when there is more load being carried to keep the shock "centered" in it's travel. This also makes the spring a bit stiffer.

Without the automatic part, you still have a perfectly good rear suspension........unless you add too much weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy Rider: Well I'm dropping it off Monday for them to figure it out. They seem very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable so cross my fingers.

I was riding both one up and two up, two up is about 400 lbs (I know, I know, I'm too heavy). When I started off riding two up I did notice it stiffening up the rear (well I think I did) but I didn't notice any change in feel when it threw the code. However, these things are very subjective of course.

Thanks for the info on how it actually works. I knew it wasn't the primary suspension or damping or it would have settled onto the bump stops, unlike my Range Rover Sport which just sinks to the minimum ride height when its air suspension fails (all too frequently).

My 2014 Triumph Trophy TTSE I traded for the Spyder made a very obvious cycling noise and displayed a progress indication when it adjusted the self leveling rear suspension, which was very helpful as you figure out what it was trying to do.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Stops me from worrying too much about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy Rider: Well I'm dropping it off Monday for them to figure it out. They seem very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable so cross my fingers.

I was riding both one up and two up, two up is about 400 lbs (I know, I know, I'm too heavy). When I started off riding two up I did notice it stiffening up the rear (well I think I did) but I didn't notice any change in feel when it threw the code. However, these things are very subjective of course.

Thanks for the info on how it actually works. I knew it wasn't the primary suspension or damping or it would have settled onto the bump stops, unlike my Range Rover Sport which just sinks to the minimum ride height when its air suspension fails (all too frequently).

My 2014 Triumph Trophy TTSE I traded for the Spyder made a very obvious cycling noise and displayed a progress indication when it adjusted the self leveling rear suspension, which was very helpful as you figure out what it was trying to do.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Stops me from worrying too much about it.
Well I dropped it off this afternoon, so we shall see what transpires. They seemed friendly and helpful, so time will tell.

I did buy the workshop manual (from canammanuals.com for $24 US) and page 590 onward of the PDF seems to describe the diagnostic process. Light bedtime reading if nothing else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts