Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say Hi!

just got my Rt se5, the other day, never road a three weeler before or a atv, always normal motorcycles for 45 years, the first trip home from the dealer was not a fun thing, I was all over the road with the it, and holding on for dear life, but once i learn to relax, the ride got so much better, I still have not gone over 55 mph, but this should come with more use of the bike, I still miss my hand brake, and cluch, and shifter, because i still reach for them, lol

Is thire any tips about turns in the road at going 50 mph, had to slow down to much to keep control of the bike, I know its me, so any help would be very nice, also gas mileage seems low for a motocycle, right now. I, only have two days on the bike and only 4 hrs of riding and my avg is about 16 miles per gal.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome, Oldeagle!! To help get around the curves easier, drop your butt down off of the inside of the seat and lean out a bit. That takes you out of the centrifugal force factor and makes the corner so much more fun. Feels strange at first, but you'll be much happier with it and won't feel like you're being flung off the bike.

A looser grip makes it much easier to handle, as well. Don't worry about "grabbing air", you'll get used to it and that'll go away!!!

Post some pics when you get a chance - would love to see!!! :D

· Registered
377 Posts
Welcome, Oldeagle!! To help get around the curves easier, drop your butt down off of the inside of the seat and lean out a bit. That takes you out of the centrifugal force factor and makes the corner so much more fun. Feels strange at first, but you'll be much happier with it and won't feel like you're being flung off the bike.

A looser grip makes it much easier to handle, as well. Don't worry about "grabbing air", you'll get used to it and that'll go away!!!

Post some pics when you get a chance - would love to see!!! :D
I agree. Time, miles and experience will cure any problem you have riding it. What you describe is completely normal for a newbie. As for your gas mileage, it sucks, even for a Spyder. I get an average of 25 mpg combined (09 RS SM5) but I'm a bit heavy on the right wrist. It may improve for you once the machine is broken in. David

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome to the party!! :cool:
Whereabouts in new Jersey are you? (What exit?:D) If you're in North Jersey, I hope to meet you out on the highway soon...
Your instinct to slow down is perfectly correct given the amount of saddle-time that you've had... It is a learning process that we all have had to enjoy (endure?), but rest assured that it gets better as the miles and smiles accumulate! :D
Mileage?? That seems on the VERY low side... :eek: Most folks seem to be on the high side of 25mpg, and I manage 34 to 37 with my RT A&C; but I ryde like an Olphart!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all very much for the info, bob I live in toms river and work in freehold on hwy 33, I teach marine fire fighting, you might see the fire school sign and facility from the highway next to the smokey the bear sign out side just after the log cabin bar and gril, lol I am going to bring my bike to work saturday, the 7th of may, if you should show up, I will show you around the place. just ask for dennis. :)

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Toms River! I had a college roommate who lived there... We used to head out there from Lawrenceville (Rider College) on the weekends!
I'm actually about 3 hours North of Trenton up here in New York State. (I fought the battle of Route 206 during the mid-seventies...:eek:)My Missus and I get to wandering about in the Northern edges of Jersey and the Eastern end of Pennsylvania on a lot of the weekends. Let me know if you ever decide to escape to the North!:D

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob would love that, My wife just took my bike, I may never get it back, she loves the thing, lol I gess i will have to get her one too, I knew i should not of gotting a red one, thats her color, next one is going to be blue, i think, :D

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might have to buy a large shead for my other equipment in the garage to make room for two of them:D On a side note she is not having any prob, with stearing the bike like me, dam :eek: got to take some pictures, she has one large smile on her face when riding, she tryed two weels and never like it, now she tells me about how much fun she is having riding, and we are not young people, just young at hart:D very cool

· Premium Member
632 Posts
I might have to buy a large shed for my other equipment in the garage to make room for two of them:D On a side note she is not having any prob, with steering the bike like me, dam :eek: got to take some pictures, she has one large smile on her face when riding, she tried two wheels and never like it, now she tells me about how much fun she is having riding, and we are not young people, just young at heart:D very cool
AWESOME! Young at heart is the way to be.... I always tell my wife: "I'm growing older, but I'm never growing up!" :)

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Sounds like your wife has great taste ~ I can't get enough of my Spyder, either! Luckily the husband prefers his BMWs... no worry of coming home and the bike and husband being off on a journey without me!

Her comfort level steering could come from the grip. Lighten up your hands on the handlebars a bit and see if that helps you enjoy it more. No need to manhandle it - they react better with a lighter touch!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.