Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone from Homer, N.Y. which is about 25 miles south of Syracuse. I'm new to this forum but a member of a few other Spyder forums. We've had our 2008 Spyder since April 9 of 2008 and have over 41,000 miles on it. We have been to Tn. 3 years in a row, been to Canada the first year to the BRP homecoming, and last year out to Chicago for that BRP event. We love our Spyder and ryde every chance we get from April to December as long as there is no salt on the roads. We thouroughly enjoy the many new friends we have met over the last few years and can't wait to get this cold nasty winter over with and get back on the roads again. Hope I haven't rambled on too much.....but I get excited talking anything "Spyder"!!:)

· Registered
377 Posts
You mention coming to Tennessee several times - where at in TN? I live just south of Knoxville (Maryville) and am only about 30 minutes from the Dragon. We take this place for granted sometimes but anytime we go away for a week or so and come back we really appreciate all we have here. Looks like you in the northeast, New York especially, are really getting hammered by the weather this winter. I don't get much riding time here in east TN due to inclement weather but at least I get some every couple of weeks or so. I could really use some global warming (if it actually existed). Are you coming to the Spyder event in Maggie Valley, NC this June? I will be there. It will be my first. Looks like I'm the one who's rambling. Weather for this weekend looks good, low 50's and mostly sunny. I think I'll take the wife's Yamaha T-Max over the Dragon. It's a hoot. Of course I'll be riding the RS this weekend too:) David

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hiya Jockey!
Welcome to our little island! If you're looking for a nice couple of hours on the road, take 8 South toward Deposit, turn onto 206 and head into Walton and then Downsville. We're a bit less than an hour from that neck of the woods... :cool:

· Registered
303 Posts
Hi to everyone from Homer, N.Y. which is about 25 miles south of Syracuse. I'm new to this forum but a member of a few other Spyder forums. We've had our 2008 Spyder since April 9 of 2008 and have over 41,000 miles on it. We have been to Tn. 3 years in a row, been to Canada the first year to the BRP homecoming, and last year out to Chicago for that BRP event. We love our Spyder and ryde every chance we get from April to December as long as there is no salt on the roads. We thouroughly enjoy the many new friends we have met over the last few years and can't wait to get this cold nasty winter over with and get back on the roads again. Hope I haven't rambled on too much.....but I get excited talking anything "Spyder"!!:)
Welcome the the forum:D

I was working in Ihtaca this week, just got in time before the snow hit.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dave,

We have been to the Spyders in the Smokies the last 3 years. We stayde in Gatlinberg and/or Pigeon Forge. We do the Dragon at lest once every time we come down and really enjoy the blast. I also like the Cherahola ride. We love the Smokies and have thought about selling up here in NYS to get away from the ridiculously high taxes we pay every year and moving down there. We probably won't make the Maggie Valley event this year. We hope to go to the Cuba, MO. event in late April and then we will be going to the Adirondacks here in New York in July. Are you planning on either one of these events? Maybe if you do we can meet up with you.

We have had a tough cold winter up here which is about par for us.....I hate winter more every year. Can't wait for good weather again!!:)

Jim

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya Jockey!
Welcome to our little island! If you're looking for a nice couple of hours on the road, take 8 South toward Deposit, turn onto 206 and head into Walton and then Downsville. We're a bit less than an hour from that neck of the woods... :cool:
Thanks Bob. We do that ryde at least once or twice every year, but usually take RT. 10 out of Walton. on the way back to Homer.
Jim

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you live Jeff?

Jim

· Registered
377 Posts
Hi Dave,

We have been to the Spyders in the Smokies the last 3 years. We stayde in Gatlinberg and/or Pigeon Forge. We do the Dragon at lest once every time we come down and really enjoy the blast. I also like the Cherahola ride. We love the Smokies and have thought about selling up here in NYS to get away from the ridiculously high taxes we pay every year and moving down there. We probably won't make the Maggie Valley event this year. We hope to go to the Cuba, MO. event in late April and then we will be going to the Adirondacks here in New York in July. Are you planning on either one of these events? Maybe if you do we can meet up with you.

We have had a tough cold winter up here which is about par for us.....I hate winter more every year. Can't wait for good weather again!!:)

Jim
Funny you should mention the Cherohala Skyway. A friend and I were on it today. Lots of snow in the higher elevations. Road was clear for most of the way and then out of nowhere it became totally snow covered. We stopped at a pull off just short of it. No way were we going up the mountain on a snow covered road (I was on my RS and my friend was on a BMW 1300GT). A few cars and SUV's were continuing on and the ones on the way down told us it was no problem for them - no ice - just snow and slush. Just about that time a couple of Honda Goldwings stop. They were both 2 up and asked about the road. We told them and they said they were going to try it. They got about 100 yards when both of them went down. They were going very slow and nobody was hurt and there was no damage to the bikes. We helped get the bikes back upright and they surprisingly continued on. I don't know if they made it or not. We came back and had a wonderful ride in the valley with temps in the mid 60's. The only Spyder event I will be attending will be the one in Maggie Valley, NC. Hey, it's only a couple hours away. I have heard a lot about the ridiculous taxes in New York. We don't have a state income tax in Tennessee so come on down. Of course you must become a University of Tennessee Volunteer fan and your favorite color must be orange. Don't bring any of your New York customs or traditions with you - we'll give you all the southern customs you'll ever need. That way you'll be a transplanted yankee; the other way you'll be a damn yankee:) David

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny you should mention the Cherohala Skyway. A friend and I were on it today. Lots of snow in the higher elevations. Road was clear for most of the way and then out of nowhere it became totally snow covered. We stopped at a pull off just short of it. No way were we going up the mountain on a snow covered road (I was on my RS and my friend was on a BMW 1300GT). A few cars and SUV's were continuing on and the ones on the way down told us it was no problem for them - no ice - just snow and slush. Just about that time a couple of Honda Goldwings stop. They were both 2 up and asked about the road. We told them and they said they were going to try it. They got about 100 yards when both of them went down. They were going very slow and nobody was hurt and there was no damage to the bikes. We helped get the bikes back upright and they surprisingly continued on. I don't know if they made it or not. We came back and had a wonderful ride in the valley with temps in the mid 60's. The only Spyder event I will be attending will be the one in Maggie Valley, NC. Hey, it's only a couple hours away. I have heard a lot about the ridiculous taxes in New York. We don't have a state income tax in Tennessee so come on down. Of course you must become a University of Tennessee Volunteer fan and your favorite color must be orange. Don't bring any of your New York customs or traditions with you - we'll give you all the southern customs you'll ever need. That way you'll be a transplanted yankee; the other way you'll be a damn yankee:) David
I'm not sure it sounds too friendly down your way for a "Yankee". By the way we live in Orange country around here "Syracuse Orange". Enjoy your weather and longer ryding season and be safe!

· Registered
303 Posts
Where do you live Jeff?

Jim
Spyderjocey I live in northen Illinois but travel around the country during the week providing wastewater treatment plant operator training. I do look for Spyder riders to meet if I'm in town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.