Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few questions for you veterans about the RT. Hopefully this ended up in the right sub thread category.

1> Any of you use the RT for long tours. I am planning a tour our west (from MA) which would be between 4800 to 6000 miles. Looking for comments about the RT ability to eat up those miles.

2> How many miles between fill ups.

3> Who has mounted their own GPS with Ram Mounts. Where did you mount the base.

4> Does the RT have an accessory lead accessible to the cock pit for wiring a GPS or does it have an accessory outlet prewired in the cockpit.

5> I am confused between the 4 configurations of the RT and the corresponding differences in MSRP.

6> Anyone have the HID option mounted and your thoughts on the option.

I am from the 2 wheel world, presently riding a FJR. I understand there is a world of difference in how the two bikes handles. Countersteer vs Steer for one.

Willie

· Registered
29 Posts
Being a newbie myself, I can't answer a lot of your questions. But I have used a ram mount for my GPS. It's mounted to my ISCI hand brake.
This is the basic mount:

This is the arm with the Garmin Nuvi specific holder:

I haven't tried coming up with a 12 volt source for it.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hi Willie!
The RTs do a pretty good job of gathering up the miles and smiles... They offer a very comfortable and relaxed ryding position.
Their only shortfall is the mpgs... I usually get around 35mpg and can easily go 160 miles between filling up. BUT... other bikes can go quite a bit further... :eek:
The configurations... you really need to hit the Spyder website for that one... www.en-us.spyder.brp.com. They've got a spot there where you can compare the various models.:D
HAPPY SHOPPING!:cool:

· Registered
60 Posts
Got a few questions for you veterans about the RT. Hopefully this ended up in the right sub thread category.

1> Any of you use the RT for long tours. I am planning a tour our west (from MA) which would be between 4800 to 6000 miles. Looking for comments about the RT ability to eat up those miles.
Wife and I just returned from Cuba Spyderfest with 2250 miles acumulated. Our highest mileage day ever on the return trip 725 mi. and we were not tired or beat up.
2> How many miles between fill ups.
With trailer 100 mi. without 150 mi.
3> Who has mounted their own GPS with Ram Mounts. Where did you mount the base.
Visit Home - Can-Am Spyder RT Accessories to view the gallery to see how I mounted mine.
4> Does the RT have an accessory lead accessible to the cock pit for wiring a GPS or does it have an accessory outlet prewired in the cockpit.
You will have to tap into an existing wire, or better yet run a switched, fused wire.
5> I am confused between the 4 configurations of the RT and the corresponding differences in MSRP.
More features the farther you get up in price, to include fog lights and rear speakers.
6> Anyone have the HID option mounted and your thoughts on the option.
I have installed my own HIDs in headlights and fog lights purchased from Ebay and they are still working just fine after 12 months.
I am from the 2 wheel world, presently riding a FJR. I understand there is a world of difference in how the two bikes handles. Countersteer vs Steer for one.

Willie
Please see the highlighted areas above for response.
C-YA RL

· Registered
2 Posts
I too am going to install a Nuvi 220 on a Kewlmetal mount on my 2010 RTS SE5 Audio Convienance bike. Is there any keyed wire under the plastic near the center of the handlbars?
I am in Central Mass and hoping to be go riding the Can-Am even more next season.

· Registered
28 Posts
The guy I got my SM5 from bought an RT which he and his wife rode to Sturgis and back and they live in eastern NY close to the Mass. border. He said the RT handled it with no problem and they were comfortable.

· Super Moderators
2,782 Posts
I have all the factory options including the HID's and they certainly make the night a whole lot safer to ride..

just make sure you set the height up properly or you will get a lot of highbeam flashing at you

I still do .. can't wait till I set my driving lights on them plus highbeams back

hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.