Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am a male 52 years old and new member from Gothenburg in Sweden. I have never driven a Spyder RT Limited before but I am very curious to own one and learn me to drive one.
I have watched some vids on YouTube when they do reviews and drive a Spyder RT Limited and I get more and more faschinated to own one myself. The reason to this is that the RT Spyder you can drive with you car-licence thanks to the three wheels and the distance between the two frontwheels. But I have some questions first I hope anyone wanna answer.

I have never driven a Can AM RT Limited before, are they tricky to drive for a beginner?
I know this is not an ATV forum but ATV is more of a working bike and the RT Limited is a cruising bike...right?
With an RT Limited you are allowed to drive on every roads even highways in any speed you want but with an ATV you are limited to drive on certain roads and in a max speed of 60 km /h...right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have only owned my spyder for six months, but my history of riding motorcyles is over 35 years ago. I would not say they are "tricky" to learn to ride, yet some things I did on two wheels you don't do on a spyder. For me it took a month or two of driving both on the highway and curvy roads to get a good feel of it. So just give yourself time to learn what the spyder is capable of. Here in the usa we can drive the spyder on any roads. Highways, byways, country roads etc. It is best to stay on hard pavement because gravel roads and the like may get debris up into the drive belt causing damage. ATV's over here can't legally be driven on public roads and I don't think they have a max m.p.h. on them (but I could be wrong). There really is no comparision from a spyder to an ATV. Over here anyways - the spyder meant for on-road driving while the atv for off road driving. Do you have a dealership near you? If you are mechanically inclined you can do most of the maintenance yourself. If not most repair shops wouldn't touch a Spyder for repairing. Also if you are buying a spyder used check with a dealer first to see if they will work on the year you are looking at. Recently I was reading many dealers refusing to work on Spyders over five years of age. I have a blast driving my F3 spyder around. I purchased it used with 507 miles on it. I just turned 14,000 miles with is (22,400 kilometer). Good luck to you.
tim w.
2020 F3 limited

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
With an RT Limited you are allowed to drive on every roads even highways in any speed you want but with an ATV you are limited to drive on certain roads and in a max speed of 60 km /h...right?
The correct answer to that depends on exactly WHERE you live.
You need to ask the Motor Vehicle licensing agency in your area.
You can not necessarily believe any answers that you get here.

Becoming comfortable riding a 3-wheeled Spyder (any model) is actually harder for those with a lot of experience on 2 wheels; your standard motorcycle.

But it is impossible to give a "good" answer to that because it varies so much from one person to another.

You need a test drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts