Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I'm Steve from Denton MD. Looking to purchase a 2013 Spyder ST SM5 from a friend. Don't know much about them yet but looking forward to learning. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 16 and getting to where I need 3 wheels. Hope to learn the ins and outs of these machines.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
Gidday from New Zealand.
I'm a relative newbie here as well.

If you look up to the top of the page you will see a grey box with search community.
Pop in your query and surf the results at your leasure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok got my Spyder and love it. I have made a few mods to it to make it fit me. First I put floorboards from an RT on it, much nicer and just this past week I put a hand brake on it. I don't have much feeling in my right foot and wear a brace on it so sometimes it is difficult to get my foot to the pedal and now the hand brake helps depress the pedal and apply the brake and puts the pedal in a better place for me to find it. I also put a backrest on it so I don't lose my wife.
Hood Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Guitar accessory

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
Cool setup you have there. (y)

Himm handbrake on the left? But for you thats a really good solution. Very good mod indeed.

Can you put some thing up on how you did that, and where it connects to at all? :unsure:

I ask as I know of a bloke and sadly he is looking as an above knee chop op very soon. May be able to sort something out so he can go for a ride in the future albeit on 3 wheels. Thinking a paddle shift gearbox and a handbrake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool setup you have there. (y)

Himm handbrake on the left? But for you thats a really good solution. Very good mod indeed.

Can you put some thing up on how you did that, and where it connects to at all? :unsure:

I ask as I know of a bloke and sadly he is looking as an above knee chop op very soon. May be able to sort something out so he can go for a ride in the future albeit on 3 wheels. Thinking a paddle shift gearbox and a handbrake.
Handbrake on the right, mine is a manual shift so there is a clutch on the left. I didn't post a pic of the brake yet. I saw an old video (14 years ago) that Lamonster garage did about adding a handbrake on his spyder. He used a lever for 7/8 inch handlebar and an M109 clutch cable and he made a bracket to mount it at the point where the pivot goes into the master cylinder. I made a new clevis pin from a shoulder bolt and ran the cable thru it and locked it with a nut and washer. It's manual so it is a little hard to pull but it works and it cost about $25 and a bunch of cussing. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
It's manual so it is a little hard to pull but it works and it cost about $25 and a bunch of cussing.
I admire ingenuity.
Just be sure that no kind of mechanical binding or other failure in your added hardware can possibly bind the entire brake mechanism and leave you with NO brakes........of have them lock up and not release.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I admire ingenuity.
Just be sure that no kind of mechanical binding or other failure in your added hardware can possibly bind the entire brake mechanism and leave you with NO brakes........of have them lock up and not release.

All valid concerns and engineered to not have those exact concerns. And I will continue to monitor its wear and tear if any. I definitely want to do a hydraulic master cyl and slave cyl set up but I need more time for that one. I have contacted ISCI about the one they made but it is out of production until the get enough demand so I will make my own and it will work the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts