Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....
I'm the new guy from central Pa!
I sold a Polaris RZR, and picked up an 08 Spyder with 7500 miles on it...
The first two mods will probably be Fog lights and a back rest for the passenger....what/ where are the best places to get these things?
Thanks,
Robb

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello All....
I'm the new guy from central Pa!
I sold a Polaris RZR, and picked up an 08 Spyder with 7500 miles on it...
The first two mods will probably be Fog lights and a back rest for the passenger....what/ where are the best places to get these things?
Thanks,
Robb
Hello trxspyder

I hope you will enjoy this place as much as I do. Lots of good info here.

I am not sure about mods so I will lets someone else answer that question

I have a 2011 Rss love it just been having it for 2 weeks come Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to our little slice of the pie! :D Fog lights and backrests? For something that you probably want to look as integrated as possible, I'd seriously look at the BRP offerings... Their backrest is VERY solid and confidence-inspiring. Their foglights mount right into the bodywork and actually look pretty good... I don't know of any aftermarket lights that mount up as nicely...
I was kinda thinking about BRP's factory offerings as well.......do the fog lights integrate into something as old as an 08? My handlebars say its a premier edition # 3630....

Also I noticed my right front fairing over the tire is a lot closer to the tire than the left, I can get my finger between it and the tire on the left but not on the right, without taking it apart, it looks like the tire was dragging on it at one point in time....how do you fix that?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Robb!

Make sure your bike has had the recalls done on it.

As far as the fog lights, my '08 has them, so I'm sure you can get after markets put on. Good news there!

Looking forward to pics!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from 2008 to 2011 all of the bodywork is identical, so the factory foglights will fit with no problems :D It sound as if you've got some fender mounting brackets that have been tweaked maybe??? :eek:
I took the wheel off yesterday and looked around....none of the brackets appear to be obviously tweaked. It looks like the under shroud for the front marker light is simply hanging too low. I took it up a little with the dremmel, to get some more clearance...I'm satisfied with it now, unless a reason not to be develops. lol

As for the backrest and fog lights.....WOW! $$$$$$
As a former Polaris RZR owner (Sold for the Spyder), I am no stranger to over paying for desired accessories, but the $250 backrest that requires a $300 accessory rack is kinda steep....and the $500 fog lights?
is there a commonly preferred place to get these things from?

Pix:
Old RZR
&
New Spyder

Thanks!
Robb

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Try craigslist and ebay. Also, check out all of the forums for Spyders out there - could be someone has one they're willing to part with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome, Robb!

Make sure your bike has had the recalls done on it.

As far as the fog lights, my '08 has them, so I'm sure you can get after markets put on. Good news there!

Looking forward to pics!!!
Good call.....I contacted my closest dealer and my Spyder needs the new power steering unit, it was never installed.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You're welcome, glad to help! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the Spyder back from the dealership, new DPS is installed!
They also pointed out that the gaskets on the top of the transverse Y pipe on the exhaust were blown (a quick search indicates it's a common problem). Today I yanked the evap can, and prepped the bike for the new gaskets and o2 modifier when they get here!
Fun stuff!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Got the Spyder back from the dealership, new DPS is installed!
They also pointed out that the gaskets on the top of the transverse Y pipe on the exhaust were blown (a quick search indicates it's a common problem). Today I yanked the evap can, and prepped the bike for the new gaskets and o2 modifier when they get here!
Fun stuff!
Be sure to use the Goldwing gaskets as replacements, they last longer than the BRP gaskets.

Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:
So this weekend I got some serious wrenching time in on the spyder!
Fixed the exhaust gasket leak (What a difference in sound!), the right side gasket was straight up missing! lol I also got the o2 modifier, and their air filter on (ripped out the straw at the beginning of the air-box too) + the cannisterectomy. As for my results....98% better! not 100% but close. The bucking is mostly gone, but it still seems to have a dead spot in first gear, hard to explain but i'll be easing off the clutch and rolling on the throttle...when I hit the spot i have to get on the throttle a lot harder or it'll stall. Maybe I still need a fuel controller????

I'm also noticing a clutching (SM5) issue....it will click into the next gear (I can hear and feel it) but when i let the clutch back out it will pop back into the previous gear. At first i thought it was just me, but it's starting to happen way too often. Where do I start with this issue?

So....to sum up my questions:
Do I still need a fuel controller, or is there another issue?
Whats up with my manual transmission?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Not sure on your gear issue, though sometimes when I'm shifting down toward a stop sign, I have trouble getting it to go into first gear. It acts like there's something stopping it, and then when I adjust the clutch and encourage the gear to shift, it clunks.

*edited for clarity

1 - 14 of 14 Posts