Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Spyder. This forum has been very helpful in learning what the choices are. It sounds like the RS is the sportier option, with a more forward leaning seating posture. It seems like the semi-auto tranny has had some performance issues but things have improved. My main question which is still largely unanswered after reading numerous posts. is regarding the transmission choice. The manual is mechanically simpler and has had a better track record reliability wise. I'm wondering what the performance issues are. Does a manually equipped vehicle accelerate quicker?
I've never driven a motorcycle, so I'd have to learn how to shift a manual. I've driven sporty cars for many years and have grown to appreciate the fun and performance of manual transmissions. My current vehicle, however (VW R32) has a dual-clutch or direct shift gearbox, as Audi/VW calls it, and I think it's close to the best of both worlds: quick shifts without the hassle of clutching manually when in traffic, etc. So I'd be very appreciative of anyone's input regarding Spyder tranny pro's and con's, and of course any other advice for a prospective first timer. Thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Makes no difference that you've never ridden a motorcycle before. You'll be able to pick up the operation of the manual gear shift with no problems. If fact it will be very simple since you can think about what gear you need to be in without thinking about or worrying about falling over. I've never used the electronic clutch equipped Spyder but I hear the shifts are quick. I can say the manual works great and I have had no problems with mine. As you state in your post there is less to go wrong with a manual and yes, the electronic clutch equipped Spyders have had their problems but like all Spyder problems not all Spyders have them. Crap shoot as to which Spyder you'll end up with - problem free or problem filled. Bottom line - if you are looking for a better performing Spyder you have to go with the RS and you will run less risk with a manual. David

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the semi automatic and It's shifts great and no problem with acceleration what so ever this sypder goes from 0-60 real fast so no worrys for me.

For me the choice was semi automatic. It's just up to the person in what you prefer. I say test drive both and see what you like the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife went with the semi automatic because she hadn't rode a motorcycle in over 30 years. She loves the ease of it (less to worry about). I ride a motorcycle but have rode her Spyder a few times. I must admit that I do like the semi automatic and it is real fast to shift. We haven't had any problems with the transmission. She has the RS and likes the sportiness of it. We put Corbin saddlebags on it and get asked questions every time we stop. You will have to get used to all the questions when you but one. Everyone asks questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Opted Auto

Evening

I went back and forth with the same issue - I went with the Semi-Auto shift and glad I did.. It goes faster than I want to and can get up to speed faster than I need too.

I love being able to have my left hand free for scratching my nose or Behind etc. Or having to hold the clutch at stop signs.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I fully intended to get the manual RS but for a number of unrelated reasons got the simi auto. After nearly a year with the simi auto I can say that I am glad that I have the one we ended up with. Have not had one single problem and for tight slow navigation I think the auto is easier.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A few things to remember:

-The SE has the same transmission as the manual
-The SE has a solenoid valve that works the clutch when you shift so you don't.
-The computer also adjusts the RPM for you when you shift. I have had the computer have to think about what the RPM should be from time to time but for the most part it does well.
-The SE must be shifted up but came downshift on it's own or you still have this control. Just try not to downshift at the same time as the computer because it can get confused.
- The SE goes into neutral when you turn off it off where the manual stays in gear.
- The SE shifts as fast or faster then you can with the manual.

I'm sure there are more things to compare but I hope this helps.

Happy shopping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts