Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2014 Spyder RTS It has 175X55 tires on it that look ok. I can't keep this thing on the road. The center line passing a slow car it heads for the ditch. On a normal road if the road has cress in it.it either heads towad on coming traffic or toward the ditch. On RT-40 last night from Daytona I couldn't go over 50 MPH it was a hand full keeping it on the road dipping and diving to the left and to the right. Help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would first start by checking tire air pressure. If problem still persists you may need to get your front end alignment looked at.

·
Super Moderator
811 Posts
Your report sounds like a typical new rider experience......and a LOT of the roads in Florida just makes it worse.

The best fix for that is time in the seat to get used to the different geometry and feel of 3 wheels.
IF you have ridden on 2 wheels for very long, your body is over-reacting to inputs that don't mean what they used to.
A light touch on the bars helps some.
It took me about 6 months to get really comfortable.

But some other things will help too.
A laser alignment.
New tires.....NOT the OEM Kenda's.
I did a sway bar too but didn't see that made much difference......if any.

In the mean time, run your tire pressures about 4 PSI higher than the recommendation.
That should help a little.

Sounds like you might be in my area, near Ocala.
If so, we could arrange a test ride on my RT to see if you notice any difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your report sounds like a typical new rider experience......and a LOT of the roads in Florida just makes it worse.

The best fix for that is time in the seat to get used to the different geometry and feel of 3 wheels.
IF you have ridden on 2 wheels for very long, your body is over-reacting to inputs that don't mean what they used to.

A laser alignment.

In the mean time, run your tire pressures about 4 PSI higher than the recommendation.

If so, we could arrange a test ride on my RT to see if you notice any difference.
Yes, I'm Just off Rt-40 on 180rd in Lake Bryant RV park, Wife and I been here some 11 years now. I've had a few Honda wing trikes so I've rode trikes for some time now. Tires were 15lbs I have them at 23lbs now.. It still wants to dive to the right or left for no reason depending on the road I'm on. If I lift my hands slightly off the handel bars, best hang on because this thing will take a sharp right or left.

·
Super Moderator
811 Posts
. It still wants to dive to the right or left for no reason depending on the road I'm on. If I lift my hands slightly off the handel bars, best hang on because this thing will take a sharp right or left.
Trust me, it is NOT "for no reason".
It is because of the 3 wheel geometry and something on the road surface.
In my case, I eventually realized that what I thought was a tendency to dart to the sides was really not as drastic as I felt it was. The key was to "retrain" my response to tactile inputs........and train my brain that a little leaning would NOT correct the line like it did on 2 wheels.

And I did not say to let go of the bars, just don't have a death grip on them.
Finger tip pressure is best while "learning".

Look for a private message on here with my phone number.
Give me a call and we can arrange to swap rides for a test sometime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, I Know you didn't say to let go of the bars. I'd like for you or some one to take mine for a spin, a couple miles might do it. Is there a place here in the Ocala area that does the Lazer alignment on these? I did notice these Kumho 175x55 R15 tires are wearing the inside of at least the left tire. We have an outside Tiki Bar with food here at our park, If you could the wife and I would love to buy your food if you would take my trike for a spin? Tiki Bar and RV park 5000 se183rd ave road, Ocklawaha 32179. just off rt-40 a couple miles. This place is a popular bike stop and must be one of the stops for the Daytona rides. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
811 Posts
IF.....you will supply me with a phone number or an email address where I can contact you directly, we can arrange a test ride. Did you see the private messages (conversations) that I sent to you ??

I don't think that Ride Now here does that. Even if they do, I wouldn't trust them.
I've had too many bad experiences there.
I am debating even letting them do an oil change on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts

A laser alignment.

I agree wholeheartedly. The sway bar will make a difference as BRP put crap on the Spyders up to 2020. No sway bar needed any longer. Get rid of the OEM tires. Get a rear car tire and another set of tires for the front. Are they feathered? Many do and that's why they are such poor tires. Tire pressure for OEM is 30 read, 20 in fronts. I found these to be the sweet spot. You may be different. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 2014 Spyder RTS It has 175X55 tires on it that look ok. I can't keep this thing on the road. The center line passing a slow car it heads for the ditch. On a normal road if the road has cress in it.it either heads towad on coming traffic or toward the ditch. On RT-40 last night from Daytona I couldn't go over 50 MPH it was a hand full keeping it on the road dipping and diving to the left and to the right. Help.
I would have a digital front end alignment, I had it done and it goes right where you put the steering,,,,,,,,,,,, cost around $200 but well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
811 Posts
I had a chance to meet these fine folks today and test ride their Spyder.
It definitely needs an alignment.
And based on what they told me about their usual rides, it needs a sway bar too.

I forgot to mention that the "time in the seat" will produce faster results with more shorter rides, rather than a few long ones.

A Google search for "spyder alignment" will tell you where to look for dealers that do the laser alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a chance to meet these fine folks today and test ride their Spyder.
It definitely needs an alignment.
And based on what they told me about their usual rides, it needs a sway bar too.

I forgot to mention that the "time in the seat" will produce faster results with more shorter rides, rather than a few long ones.

A Google search for "spyder alignment" will tell you where to look for dealers that do the laser alignment.
We thank you for your input today and plan on following up on your suggestion's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts