Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Spyder RTL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after almost 60 years of two wheels, I’ve decided to switch to a trike and hopefully enjoy several more years of riding. I’m picking up my “new to me” 2020 RTL tomorrow and looking forward to the trip home and lots of miles and smiles!
WooHoo!
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Fuel tank

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
I’m picking up my “new to me” 2020 RTL tomorrow and looking forward to the trip home
I hope the trip home isn't too far.......and doesn't require any freeways.

"Old" two wheel riders often have a REALLY hard time handling a Spyder at first.
Sometimes to the point of being unsafe.

It took me several months, a couple of thousand miles and a few adjustments to get comfortable with mine.

·
Registered
2020 Spyder RTL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope the trip home isn't too far.......and doesn't require any freeways.

"Old" two wheel riders often have a REALLY hard time handling a Spyder at first.
Sometimes to the point of being unsafe.

It took me several months, a couple of thousand miles and a few adjustments to get comfortable with mine.
Thanks! Pay trip home is about 800 miles. I covered the first 200 today and will have 600 tomorrow.
The “ride” is certainly different, but I’m very happy with my decision to make the switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Appreciate your concern. LD riding is not new to me and I certainly understand the risks involved.
Keep us posted.

My "concern" is that your LD ride is on a machine that is completely unfamiliar to you.
It is nothing like riding on 2 wheels.

But is sounds like you are doing OK.......so my comments are directed more to others who might think that their hundreds or thousands of hours riding long distances on 2 wheels will automatically prepare them for long distances on a Spyder.
It doesn't.

·
Registered
2020 Spyder RTL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep us posted.

My "concern" is that your LD ride is on a machine that is completely unfamiliar to you.
It is nothing like riding on 2 wheels.

But is sounds like you are doing OK.......so my comments are directed more to others who might think that their hundreds or thousands of hours riding long distances on 2 wheels will automatically prepare them for long distances on a Spyder.
It doesn't.
I made it home about 5:15 this evening. The first leg of the trip today was down to 27 degrees and a lot of freezing fog. After picking up I80 and stopping in Little America for gas, it started to warm some and by the time I got home I saw 72 on the thermometer. Unusual for Wyoming, I actually had a nice tail wind most of the way and cross winds off and on.
All and all, very pleased! Heated grips are not new to me, but it was my first experience with a heated seat. Gotta admit it felt pretty good early this morning!
i only ran 65 mph max for the entire 800 mile trip home and (indicated) mileage was showing a respectable 38.9. I didn’t record actual numbers, so I don’t know how accurate this is.
Tomorrow is cleaning day and I need to get a kit to change oil/filter right away. Also need to go to our DMV Monday and spend some more money! 😉

·
Registered
2020 Spyder RTL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a little cleaning today and ordered an oil change kit, which should be here sometime later in the week. Also played around with options for mounting my Zumo XT. Finally decided the one lamonstergarage has is a nice clean unit, so ordered it. Next I’ll need to sort out how I will run power to it. Looks like there is a GPS power plug under the right side cover, so I will probably utilize that wiring for power. Once the covers are off, I will hopefully be able to determine a way to route the Zumo harness up to the handlebar area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts