Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

This is my first post and hopefully not my last post. I've been so excited about getting a Spyder and then I rode one today (I've previously owned a GSX-750, HD Super Glide, & HD Street Glide and I'm approaching 30 years old.)

I took a demo ride today on an 09 RS Spyder SM5 that had a custom stitched seat, 1 inch risers, bigger windshield, muffler and wind deflectors. I was able to jump right on and had no problem figuring it out due to owning a sport 4 wheeler in the past and the motorcycles. Here is what I found that I liked:

1- Felt safer than a motorcycle
1- When riding straight felt like I was on a motorcycle.
1- Felt as though bike looked really cool
1- Didn't feel overmatched on the bike
1- Butt didn't hurt nor did my legs
1- Bike seemed to have good acceleration
1- Reverse
1- Storage space in front
1- Many different ways to customize

Here is what I'm really struggling with:

1- My right shoulder is still sore (I made all right turns..dunno if this is why?)
1- It felt as if though sometimes bike was floating on me. Front end would shake me left or right in the lane.
1- Kept smelling a gas or oil smell
1- I didn't fall in love with it

Has anyone else had these problems that are turning me off of the Spyder? Does the soreness go away or is this something that your always fighting with since you have to force the bike into turns? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The dealership has an 09 in the crate waiting for me to tell them to go. At this point I'm saying no and I'm not happy about it :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an 09 RS SM5 with a lot of the add on's you list. When I first got it home and rode it around the sub division I asked "What have I got myself into?" I was worried because I had already spent the money even though the wife was against it and it would be difficult selling it in today's economy. The Spyder didn't feel comfortable at all i.e. heavy and cumbersome. Well, I had no choice but to give it a chance. After a few days I liked it a little better. After 2 weeks I was in love with and today I am incrediably comfortable with it and riding it has become second nature. And then there's the gawker appeal. Friends at church park their $30k plus Harley's in the parking lot and people just walk by as if they were just another car. Not with the Spyder. People stop and look and if I'm nearby they ask a lot of questions and the Spyder isn't exactly new on the streets - it has been around since 2008. As to your concerns: Normal for your shoulders to be a little sore at first. If you're doing a lot of turns, especially the twisties, at speed the Spyder takes a little muscle to get it around. The shaking right and left I assume was on the interstate or similiar road? Turbulance in traffic will cause buffeting such as you describe. You will get used to it and it becomes no big deal. The gas and oil smell - now that's not normal. You got that on a demo and I don't think you will get it if buy the one still in the crate. I have never smelled anything with mine. Lastly - you didn't fall in love with it. Well, yes, you did - before you rode it that is. The ride was not in keeping with your expectations in relation to the machine's appearance: neither was mine. But as I said at the beginning of this post you will quickly grow to love it, just give it time. I do not regret by decision to buy it. David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much....I have a big decision to make today and will hopefully make the right one. My wife loves the thought of a Spyder because it's safer.:D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the universe! :D
Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Your test ride has something untoward happening under the bodywork if you were smelling gas and oil. A new one won't do that; but if it does there's a warranty in place to handle it.
Your sore shoulder may have been a case of hanging on a bit tight perhaps?? When I rode out of the dealership on my RT the first 2 miles were miserable. Then I relaxed my grip on the bars and everything felt better! :cool:
A second road test might be in order on a different machine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
504 Posts
As for the "floating" you should check the front shocks on the Demo machine. Also I would be courious as to what the tire pressure is because that can also affect the handling. My Can Am had the shocks set too soft and I felt a kind of mushy wandering at speed. After kicking the front shocks up to the hardest setting it was like a completly different machine. The hard setting does not hurt the ride quality in my opinion but does help keep things in line.

I can say the same thing as others in that we bought our spyder before I even rode one. I was thinking after spending all that money what was I thinking? Well now I know exactly what I was thinking and could not be happier with our 2010 RS.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys so much for your valued opinions...I'm going to demo an Interceptor tonight & then make my final decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I rode the bike again & it was awesome! I've got a big decision tonight to make because I found another bike I can pay cash for. Really enjoyed the Spyder tonight though! Decisions decisions!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy the Spyder!!!! Jump on it and just ride it like a quad or snowmobile rather than looking for things that you may want to question.....adjusting the shocks does make a difference...if it has a touring windshield, it will feel floaty and shake a little....relax your grip ( dont white knuckle it) and enjoy the ride....also the gas smell can be fixed with a recall to relocate the gas tank vent tube....the dealer should take care of that for you...btw...be prepaired for all the attention you will get from owning a Spyder....people love to ask you questions!!!...lol...tell them its nice to not have to put the kickstand down....it wont fall over!

13 Posts
You will not be disapointed. I bought mine with only riding it around in the warehouse. The first couple of times out I was also sore. After I got use to the way it felt and relaxed it was just as easy on me as a weekend on my Rancher. I am so glad I finally got mine. I did my first in town riding this weekend, the stares and the attention was awesome. As long as these things have been out there are a bunch of people who have never seen one. You will have fun!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The gas smell is caused by the wind deflectors. I didn't install my deflectors at first and had no gas smell. Dealer asked one day if I got a gas smell from after installing the deflectors, seems this is common. I hadn't installed them so I thought I would give it a try. Started to smell gas with 100 yards :eek: These deflectors also direct the air right at my hands. In the cold or rain this was not good. I took the deflecors off and no more gas smell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "floating" was noticed by me as being "twitchy". Because of the power steering, your upper body turns the bars when you are using it to hold your weight. This was only a problem the first time I rode a Spyder. Otherwise, when you have time, replace the sway bar with the Evoluzione one.
Can't help with the gas smell.
A Spyder is harder to punt around corners than a good car or a bike; but its challenge it to work out body position, gear and throttle (and speed) as you go in, so you come out where you want to. It is pretty good on s-bends where you can use the g-force to your advantage....

·
Registered
377 Posts
The gas smell is caused by the wind deflectors. I didn't install my deflectors at first and had no gas smell. Dealer asked one day if I got a gas smell from after installing the deflectors, seems this is common. I hadn't installed them so I thought I would give it a try. Started to smell gas with 100 yards :eek: These deflectors also direct the air right at my hands. In the cold or rain this was not good. I took the deflecors off and no more gas smell.
I have the wind deflectors (mounted just below the rearview mirror stalk) and I have no gas smell and I don't have any cold wind coming onto my hands. In fact I am amazed at how well I stay warm and protected on the Spyder as opposed to the Yamaha T-Max. David

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wind deflectors

I have the wind deflectors (mounted just below the rearview mirror stalk) and I have no gas smell and I don't have any cold wind coming onto my hands. In fact I am amazed at how well I stay warm and protected on the Spyder as opposed to the Yamaha T-Max. David
I've talked to several owners that also reported the gas smell after installing the deflectors but like everything else it does not apply to everyone.

I did not have the deflectors on long but there was a light mist while I was riding. I had on deer skin gloves and the fingers were soaked on both hands :eek: while the top of my hands were dry :confused:. I didn't feel the wind but this showed where it was going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys I ended up paying cash for a super clean CBR1100XX Blackbird. I wish I could've made the jump to Spyder. I was looking at $14,000 out the door for a new 2009. But with one on the way....didn't want to risk getting into another payment. Will keep checking to see if they up the ante on their perks. My goodness Canada has some awesome perks for buying!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts