Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all new to forums, I know nothing about them. I'm on here for my dad, he is turning 60 in a few days, currently owns an '87 Goldwing, and is really interested in buying a new 2011 Can Am touring model. He went and test drove one a couple weekends ago, and is waiting for the dealer to get more in. He is really wanting some honest feedback, from real ppl that own them. He is a lil worried about putting that much money out for a new bike, that is so different from any bike he has ever rode before. If anybody can tell me anything to maybe help him I would appreciate it! Good or bad, I want to hear it all! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
First,

Yes, it is a lot of money, but pretty much right in line with or even a little cheaper than a new Goldwing. This low mileage 2010 Goldwing is listed at $20,999:

http://www.cycletrader.com 2010-Honda-Gold-Wing-Audio-Comfort

If he looks for a year old used RT, he'll see they fall right in line with the Goldwings:

$20,500 http://www.cycletrader.com/2010-Can-Am-SPYDER-RT-S

$22,000 http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2010-CAN-AM-SPYDER-RT-S

I had a Goldwing Trike, and although I do not own a RT, I have ridden one and it was night and day a better/more comfortable ride, it had more storage and in my opinion looks better. The weather protection on the RT is also superior. I think more importantly, it is a safer ride than any motorcycle because you are noticed. The ABS and traction control do things not possible on a cycle.

Another note is that as the Spyder had matured, we have sen that they seem to be holding hold their value fairly well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We too came from a GoldWing and for me, would rather not go back to 2 wheels. We have a 2011 RTS and has been far more comfortable thus far than we ever were on the Wing. As for the price, yes it's a lot of money for what may or may not be a necessity, but as was pointed out, the prices are in line with a used Wing. For what we paid for our Spyder, we would have to go back 5 years or more for a GoldWing trike. So tell the kids to kiss the inheritance goodbye, that's what I did.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome aboard! :D
Tell your Dad to "belly up to the bar" here and don't be bashful about asking questions. Most of us have no trouble whatsoever letting others know what we're thinking... ;)
I've come from a pretty diverse range of bikes. Starting with an early 70's kawi 250 triple, then a Harley "dirt bike" and eventually a Gold Wing... The Spyder is completely different in feel and ride from all of them; it feels more like an ATV or snowmobile.
Cash outlay??? It's not what you've got in them; it's what you get out of them that is truly important!:cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 64 and just got my RTS last week. Wife won't ride on 2 wheels so we had a Goldwing trike. Yes the RTS is in the mid $20,000's, but all the new Goldwing trikes around here are in the low $30,000's. The ride is much better (my wike loves it better going over railroad tracks). It's like many say, riding a jet ski or ATV. The wider front wheels are quite stable and with the ABS brakes and traction control I think it's a lot safer. For one thing this bike was designed to be what it is and is not a 2-wheeler converted to three. So all the engineering is in the original design. I'm a design engineer so that made a lot of decision for me. Can-AM has been out a few years now and I believe the designers have added some great features to the bike. On the RTS everything was standard, there's nothing else to add (except a drivers seat back) which Corbin is the only one I can find so far, or some more lights. I got the electronic shifting model and it's great to not have to keep shifting as we drive a lot in town too. One think they'll tell you over and over is it's not like a motorcycle, it has no hand brakes. The right foot brake pedal is like a car, the only brake. So if you've rode 2-wheels it will take a short time to get used to the no right hand brake lever. The 2011 style is great, I've had pictures taken riding down the road and each time at the store, someone comes up to ask about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts