Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding 2 wheel motorcycles for years but now am thinking of going to a 3 wheel version. The Harley and Goldwing trikes are a little out of my price range. After discovering the Spyder RT I decided to visit a dealership about an hour away. When I arrived I was greated and offered a demo ride on a 2010 RTS. However, the sales rep was new and had no idea even how to start it up. After figuring out I needed to click the "mode" button it fired up fine. Very quiet. At least for me since riding Harleys most of my life. So far I was very impressed with the RT (manual transmission). Especially the reverse gear. I took it for ride in a large empty parking lot. Going in knowing that it will not handle like a 2 wheel bike I found that it felt more like a 3 wheeled snow mobile. After trying several sharp turns and quick stops I decided that this could be the next vehicle in my garage. My only concern was the steering. Seemed to me that it required a lot of force to turn at very slow speeds. Could there be a problem with the DPS on this unit. The sales rep didn't have a clue. There is another dealership about 2 hours away. I may try their demo and compare. The only thing that I had a concern with on the RT was the steering. All else was great.

How much force should it take to turn the handle bars? Seemed to me to be excessive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much force should it take to turn the handle bars? Seemed to me to be excessive.
My RT, which hasn't had the DPS fix yet, takes virtually no effort once the cycle is moving. Like any vehicle, at a standstill a little force is required to turn the wheels.
During the SITS meet, I used a "loaner" RTS while my RT was having the airbag repaired, and this RT took an excessive amount of effort to turn even at low speeds. Most RT's don't seem to have this problem to begin with, and any made after August 2010 should be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My RT, which hasn't had the DPS fix yet, takes virtually no effort once the cycle is moving. Like any vehicle, at a standstill a little force is required to turn the wheels.
During the SITS meet, I used a "loaner" RTS while my RT was having the airbag repaired, and this RT took an excessive amount of effort to turn even at low speeds. Most RT's don't seem to have this problem to begin with, and any made after August 2010 should be fine.
I was hoping there may have been a problem with this demo RT. The sales rep said that the DPS recall was not done on the demo unit so this may explain the problem. I am going to a larger dealership in St. Louis, Mo Wednesday. Hopefully they will have more knowledgeable people there. Really looking forward to owning one of these machines. Thanks for the info.

BTW. Airbag? Is there one on available on the RTS? No mention of it in the manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
longer test drive

See if you can find a dealer who will let you take it out to more than parking lot. Our dealer let you go on a "real" test drive. For that kind of money they should. I have an RS and it is not hard to steer going around turns at normal speed, but it's different and I had to get used to it after being used to a 2 wheel motorcycle and never having driven an ATV, different but fun. I don't have trouble steering and I'm a 5' woman with not much upper body strength! It is more "active" to ride than a 2-wheeler. When I test drove the RT it didn't seem as tight around turns, looser susension or something, but still wasn't hard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
BTW. Airbag? Is there one on available on the RTS? No mention of it in the manual.
Sorry I mislead you with my "airbag" remark. The airbag I was referring to is part of the rear suspension system, and mine had a leaky fitting in the top of the bag.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts