Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, our Spyder life began a little over 3 weeks ago when I walked into a local dealership on the way home from work - it was one of several mid 40 degree days we've had in Wisconsin this "winter". Back in 2007 when my wife got back from Iraq we decided to get her (us) a Harley so we bought one of the most useless (but fun!) bikes they make, the Sportster 1200N (Nightster). Since it was my wife's bike, I left it at home (I was mobilized to Fort McCoy Wisconsin to help train deploying units). However, I was the rider in the family having sold my V-Star 1100 Classic in 2005 to help with the down payment on our house. Well, it sat in the garage without me here to help her build confidence or even to maintain the confidence she gained when taking the MSF basic rider course.

Readers Digest Version ... Her Nightster didn't get a lot of use so while I was in that dealership I took a look at the Spyder RT. Leftover '11 with $3500 off the Limited. Having started a new job a couple of months ago we weren't in the position to finance anything but their finance guy has a good relationship with the local bank that just so happens to maintain our mortgage with 6 years of solid payment history. It only took a little cajoling and we got a good rate and a new Spyder. Bye bye Nightster. We did unass an absurd amour of money for a maintenance program too ... Covers 3 years of required maintenance and oil changes for the life of the Spyder (for as long as we own it). Based on the numbers I've been quoted we should see our money back on that in about 2 weeks ... $200 oil changes?!? More on that in a different thread.

Anyway, we've never ridden one but watched a ton of YouTube videos so I hope our (my wife's) experiences with the CanAm are good and hopefully we can boldly go where lots of other folks on bikes have gone and that we enjoy every stop along the way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum :). Where in WI do your live? I am located in Rocton IL just south of the WI state line and ride in WI most of the time. I made a ride up to Robs motor sports last weekend, 67 miles :eek:, just to get my wife a cream puff for her birthday.

If you would like to meet up with other riders just post here or PM me. We have the WIILY (Wisconsin + Illinois) Spyder Ryders riding club that do a lot of rides all spring, summer, and fall. We did over seven group rides in WI last summer alone. We have 39 spyders and growing.

What dealer did you get your RT LT at? $200 for an oil change is very high. Most are about $150 and if you do it yourself like many of us do it runs about $75.

Again welcome! I hope to see you on some rides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The $200 oil change was quoted by a local dealer as the "RT" price with the same $ in parts and an extra 30 minutes of labor - must be to remove all the extra bodywork ... total about $70 in parts between what they charge for the BRP Synthetic Blend and both filters (oil and SE5 tranny) and 1.5 hrs labor at ... you guessed it, $99/hr shop rate. This wasn't from the dealer we purchased the Spyder from, they quoted around $165. They did however say that they've only done ONE 12k service and they charged the guy $1400. Again, I'm going to start another thread on that one even though all the experienced forum members have probably already been there and done that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The $200 oil change was quoted by a local dealer as the "RT" price with the same $ in parts and an extra 30 minutes of labor - must be to remove all the extra bodywork ... total about $70 in parts between what they charge for the BRP Synthetic Blend and both filters (oil and SE5 tranny) and 1.5 hrs labor at ... you guessed it, $99/hr shop rate. This wasn't from the dealer we purchased the Spyder from, they quoted around $165. They did however say that they've only done ONE 12k service and they charged the guy $1400. Again, I'm going to start another thread on that one even though all the experienced forum members have probably already been there and done that.
$1400 for the 12K!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: This dealer does not know what they are doing. They must have done the valve adjustment and other things that are not needed. I did most of the work myself so I can't say what it would have cost me for my 12K. My local dealer charges $80/hr. Not the best or most knowledgable but the price is fare.

·
Registered
570 Posts
@Fishmac - love your signature! We have an almost bone stock 2011 RT Ltd also, just added some of the LED strip brake lights. However, can you really call a RT Ltd bone stock?

When I first started looking at Spyders, my wife was not much into the price. After our demo ride, her statement was "I like the white one!". We now look forward to riding 2 up and she wants to get her motorcycle endorsement :eek:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you're not going to do your own maintenance, then the extra cost up front is probably worth it. Lucky for me, this Y household has a mechanically-minded inhabitant... and the gentleman I bought my Spyder from tossed in the oil and extra filters he'd received when he bought it new.

If your dealer is twisting the vice tight, perhaps you should shop around for a more honorable deal?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are able

By all means, if you are able, forget the hijack prices for the oil changes. Filters can be had from BajaRon (sponsor on another site) and oil can be had ,especially Amsoil locally. Yeah, about $75.00 per oil change should do it. And the satisfaction of becoming intimate with your Spyder.

Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts