Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

Model Differences

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Have been researching online and now ridden a 2020 Ryker Rally and 2011 Spyder RT Limited and will be going to look at 2012 Spyder ST Limited later today.
It's confusing as #$@% trying to figure out the differences between models/years and so far my online searching has not turned up much more than added confusion.
Any suggestions on a good source of info?
Would welcome input on shaft vs belt - both have been around on different brands for a while with pros & cons for both last I knew. What about the motors & full automatic vs shifting?
Have a knee that was operated on not long ago so really liked the idea of the Spyder Rally and seating/leg positions but between the full automatic & high revving motor it's different enough from what I know I'd have to spend more than 15 minutes on one before spending the money. The 2011 was a little better with being able to shift up and not rev the motor so much, but had electrical/electronic gremlins and some other issues that made me shy away. Some models have the controls forward, others seem to put the leg back like a sport bike which I can't do.
Heard from an acquaintance there are a couple of different motors that have been offered and some shifting options - input on pros & cons welcomed!
Lots of questions......
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
You are making this MUCH too hard.

Except for the "aesthetics", all the Spyders have more in common than differences.

There have always been only two transmission choices: A 5 speed manual and a 5 speed paddle operated semi-automatic. The latter was upgraded to 6 speeds when the new 3 cylinder engine came online.

Around 2014, a 3 cylinder 1330 CC engine was offered, first on the RTs and later on other models.
The overwhelming consensus among owners is that it is preferred over the 990 twin.
I didn't think I would like the auto transmission but I was wrong; I love it.
And it would be much better for anyone with a bad knee or leg.

That's about all you really need to know.
I suggest that you NOT consider an older Spyder with the twin engine or manual transmission.

If price is a real problem, a newer Ryker should be better than an older Spyder.
I don't know if they have the auto transmission as an option or not.

Specific questions might be better than your blanket plea for help.

#3 ·
Easy Rider,
This has been helpful, what I've been looking for was information on what the changes were as the Can Ams' evolved and your information about the engines is good.
I did drive the 2012 which was actually a 2013 RT Limited (owner listed the wrong year) with the Rotax motor and handlebar mounted paddle shifter that would allow up & down shifting and liked how it rode & felt.
That said, knowing that in 2014 a 3 cylinder version became available that is preferred will narrow what I'm looking for.
I REALLY liked being able to up & down shift which felt very natural so am wondering why this isn't a good option?
Rode the Ryker Rally and liked several things about it, but the automatic transmission and high revving engine just didn't feel natural to me. Really liked the seat position / foot pegs & brake position but the steering was stiff and the bike jumped around quite a bit at anything over 35 mph. The 2013 steered well, held lane position well, and shifting felt natural.
Keep in mind, I've operated all sorts of motorcycles, large trucks, some of which even had twin shifters in them, (I'm dating myself here) so managing gears/engine speed & load are kind of 2nd nature for me?
Is there a reliability issue with the models you can shift up & down?
Chris

#4 ·
Is there a reliability issue with the models you can shift up & down?
Chris
Only with the clutch slave cylinder, which is not a big deal.

But it sounds like you misunderstand the semi-automatic transmission.
You CAN, and probably should, shift UP and DOWN yourself (must do the UP ).
It is just designed to downshift automatically if you don't do it soon enough.
That prevents you from lugging the engine badly.

Except for the engine, there have not been a lot of design improvements over the years.
And the Ryker is a whole different machine.

Starting in 2018, they did away with the integrated audio system with radio, GPS and CB all feeding a helmet headset.
After that, no GPS and no CB options. You have to provide those things yourself.

Bottom line is you should get what you like best and can realistically afford.
The older a vehicle is, the more problems you should expect, with any kind of vehicle.

There are some "stability" issues with all the Spyders up to about the '20 models.
This is mostly because of the different geometry but improvements can be made.
Previous owners may have done that with some used machines.
I do not know if similar "fixes" apply to the Rykers or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.