Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an RTS notice any missing grommets when taking panels off?

During my headlight exchange I found missing grommets. On the middle side panels, I had grommets missing on both sides at the bottom attachment. Then with the top side panels, the rear grommets were missing on both sides...which would explain why the panel feels loosey goosey toward the rear.

Think the BRP would give me replacements?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had some loosen up. I really need to replace them. I doubt we will get them for free. Nothing else is.....................

·
Registered
23 Posts
grommets...

Make sure that they have been installed with the large flange on the outside. Several of mine were originally installed the other way round, and they tend to push through the hole as the panel is installed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Contact your dealer, BRP has a bulletin out on this. The dealers are now super gluing the grommets in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any link to the bulletin? Went to the dealer and he gave me the run around...selling me a five dollar grommet set for Hondas.

Would be nice to go back an give an "I told ya so". I'm not really thrilled with my local Can-Am service provider.

Thanks again JW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
grommets...

@Sinkhole: Great hint. Will have to remember that next time I take the panels down.
As others have mentioned in previous posts, a lite coating of silicone spray on each stud before insertion helps considerably, and lessens the chance of pushing the grommet through the mounting hole.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found bulletin on another site. Sent email with bulletin to dealer, and BRP as well, expressing my dissatisfaction.

I've heard nothing back. Figures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know if this is the same thing; When re-installing the panel that covers the oil acess point , I noted one of the rubber bushings? missing This is one of the 3 points where the panel secures to the bike. It left the panel a little loose. Since it was the trailing edge attachment I figured it would be ok for the trip home from the dealers. Within 1 mile of taking off, the panel blew off & was run over by following vehicals.
I have been slow to do it but I plan on contacting the dealer to see if BRP will replace the bushing & panel. Any thoughts? Thanks, ed mcmillan

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
side panels..

Another thing you need to be aware of is that both side service panels have a "catch" on their leading edge that engages the filter screens. If this is not engaged when replacing the panels, air pressure can easily pop the panel off of the Spyder.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sent an email to the shop's GM and found an email to BRP about the grommet issue and another issue I had with the shop. HOLY heck you'd have thought I hit a bee's nest with a football bat. Got about 4 calls in an hour from the shop GM, shop service manager, and two BRP reps...all very interested in making things right.

A couple of well thought out paragraphs of constructive feedback (no B****in' and moaning) and wow. I'm actually impressed by the response I got.

I've read some posters on here that I think had less than optimal dealer/service experiences. BRP listened and I'm guessing pinged the local dealer. If you have problems, you may want to drop BRP a line.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sent an email to the shop's GM and found an email to BRP about the grommet issue and another issue I had with the shop. HOLY heck you'd have thought I hit a bee's nest with a football bat. Got about 4 calls in an hour from the shop GM, shop service manager, and two BRP reps...all very interested in making things right.

A couple of well thought out paragraphs of constructive feedback (no B****in' and moaning) and wow. I'm actually impressed by the response I got.

I've read some posters on here that I think had less than optimal dealer/service experiences. BRP listened and I'm guessing pinged the local dealer. If you have problems, you may want to drop BRP a line.
Frankly if all of us who had problems did that I fear that the email accounts they have would be over flowing. These trikes seem to breed niggling problems like rabbits! They always give me this well we are improving that for next year but what good does that do us? I feel like a test driver for the factory at times and I am paying them! Not what the situation is supposed to be in my mind. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Frankly if all of us who had problems did that I fear that the email accounts they have would be over flowing. These trikes seem to breed niggling problems like rabbits! They always give me this well we are improving that for next year but what good does that do us? I feel like a test driver for the factory at times and I am paying them! Not what the situation is supposed to be in my mind. Bill
Zee, I feel for you and I understand where you're coming from! These are pretty complicated bikes; all of the electronics in them could probably support a moon shot! For my part I'm going to remain happy and optimistic since my RT has been lots of fun with very little in the way of hiccups to spoil my riding time... I hate to parrot the Company line, but giving them a little time will always result in a better bike being built over the long haul... not that it helps now of course! :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
23 Posts
access panels...

Both side access panels have a tab molded into the front inside area of the panel. These tabs should engage the screen housing, and are there to prevent the panel from peeling away from the Spyder as speed and air pressure increase.
I have found that by inserting the upper stud first, you can pivot the panel forward enough to engage this tab. Once engaged, pivot the panel back and insert the lower, then rear studs. Finaly, make sure that the top of the panel is hooked onto the front panel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't really mind beta testing the bike, so long as BRP and its dealers support it. Working on bettering this for next year is great, but if mine has problems, they'd better fix it this year if it's a result of poor engineering or craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
A moment to discuss perspective here...
When we think of Touring bikes, most of us picture a GoldWing, a Harley or a Beemer sweeping across the countryside; piling miles upon miles without missing a beat. Those bikes have reaped the benefits of YEARS of development. Since BRP is a newcomer to this scene, it's really not fair to compare them directly to these other players... Give them a little time and I'm confident that they'll get there too...

That having now been said... it does suck when we seem like the Guinea pigs...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts