Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking into buying a Spyder for a little while now, and I have a few questions. I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade a manual transmission to a semi. The manual models seems to be a little bit cheaper, so it seems like it would be worth it to buy a manual then just change the transmission.

The second question I have is if any one knows of some websites where riders are posting used Spyders. I checked Craigslist and Ebay and neither site had a whole lot in the way of used/cheaper Spyders.

Thanks a lot in advance

--Spencer

·
Registered
3 Posts
up grade tranny

If you get an answer to your inquiry regarding the up grade from manual to auto would you let me know as I'm interested too. A yes if it's feasible, or no if it's not.
Thanks ---Mario ---email:[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anything is feasible given enough money to solve the problem. But I would think that the cost of swapping out transmissions and all the other pieces of the puzzle would be rather high. Not just the tranny, but also the clutch (removing the manual, adding in the paddle shifter), rewiring.... and not to mention the computer..... I'm sure it would require reprogramming.
Anyone talk to their shop about a conversion and the cost?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anything is feasible given enough money to solve the problem. But I would think that the cost of swapping out transmissions and all the other pieces of the puzzle would be rather high. Not just the tranny, but also the clutch (removing the manual, adding in the paddle shifter), rewiring.... and not to mention the computer..... I'm sure it would require reprogramming.
Anyone talk to their shop about a conversion and the cost?
I didn't ask about cost but when I inquired about this very same issue, the rep said it would be a real PITA to do it because of all the things you mention, especially the computerized parts of the machine.

I'm sure you could do it but I'm betting the cost as well as performance issues would make it not a good idea (not sure about warranty either). Either buy a manual or spend the extra $$ for an automatic. :2cents

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check into Klicktronic shifters. An electrically powered cylinder and piston is attached to your manual shifter and 2 buttons are installed next to your left thumb. You can disengage the clutch and shift with your left hand. The only downside is you have to downshift manually. I believe this solution was first invented for folks with disabillities, so they could enjoy riding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check into Klicktronic shifters. An electrically powered cylinder and piston is attached to your manual shifter and 2 buttons are installed next to your left thumb. You can disengage the clutch and shift with your left hand. The only downside is you have to downshift manually. I believe this solution was first invented for folks with disabillities, so they could enjoy riding.
Klicktronic was originally invented for racing - you know speed shifting??? I installed one on a Harley 09 Trike and it was not anywhere near as good as the SE5 on my 2010 Spyder RT. My money would go for the factory job - no question.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
It would cost way more than just getting the SE5 in the first place, too much to change and I do not think it is possible there is not just the mechanics but all the computer/electronics involved that would have to be changed or upgraded. I tested both and I went with the SE5, I like it much better but I will say this I wish I could disable the auto downshift.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Kicktronic?? There's an outfit (whose name escapes me at the moment...) that used to build electronic shifters for ATVs too. While I don't know if they'd have anything that would work for this appication, my guts tell me that it'd be WAaayy cheaper to just pony up and get the SE5 in the first place... I saved enough with "carelul negotiations" with the salesman to more than make up for the cost of it anyway...:cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
23 Posts
auto shifter

pingle makes a electric shifter for the spyder shift up and down still need the clutch when you start in first gear price $871.00 plus installation they work good:):)

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I think it would the same idea of say buying a roof for your house and going cheap on the materials..

Next thing you know it's raining in your bedroom and now you have to pay double what it would have cost in the first place

spend the money and buy the auto

1 - 13 of 13 Posts