Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

Loud Backfire and broke the gas capb

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  duanestvincent1 
#1 ·
Hello All! Yesterday after a 45 min ride on my 2013 Can am RT; and a 30 min rest my wife and I started home. Within 10 sec of starting the engine and shifting from reverse to forward a very loud backfire sound came from under the seat. Neighbor came out from within their houses!. A bit of smoke, and a light spread of warm liquid shot out from under the seat and hit my left calf. The trike of course shut off and I turned off the key, too. An odor of burn rubber and exhaust was briefly in the air. Very shocking! Looking under the seat the gas cap had been blown in half with the top half well off its place and the bottom half still on the gas tank. After a few minutes I tried to start the trike and it kicked over and ran a few seconds...as if a little gas had been put in carburetor and quickly used up, and the engine failed to stay on. This happened a couple of times before a gave up. The bike was fully serviced about 3 weeks ago. There is normal oil level on the dip stick still. I needed to get the trike towed to a dealer who is not open until Tuesday. This happened Sunday and it now Monday 2/15/21. What happened and what am I in for.... any guesses.???? Anyone experienced this too!!
Thanks!
Rob F

#3 ·
This should be an interesting "adventure".
I wish I could offer something that would help.

My only wild guess is that what you think is gas stabilizer really is not.......and is something like nitro-methane. :oops:

About the only thing that would blow back that much pressure into the gas tank is a failed intake valve......and even that shouldn't do it.

Please come back and let us know how this turns out.

#4 ·
The 2013 RT is known to have a heat problem under the bodywork. It may be possible that the gas got so hot and expanded causing enough of a pressure buildup in the tank to cause the cap to blow.

There was a recall for that heat problem, do you know if your Spyder got that recall done.

#6 ·
My personal suspicion is that there is some faulty wiring in the gas tank. In my opinion there was a small ignition incident and as the tank was full, the volume of oxidizer(air) was low so there was a minimal yield.
I personally would disconnect the battery and call the dealer and complain like the dickens to have them have a closer look.

Eckhard

#7 ·
A friend of mine had a 2013 RT with the problem of the gas heating up. He stopped for gas on a long trip and had a hard time getting the gas cap to release. When it finally released the gas shot out and he got a face full of gas. Brought it to the dealership in Louisiana and they couldn't find any problem after having the bike all day. None that they would admit to anyway. Happened again on the way home to Florida. He traded the bike in a week later. Very dangerous. I'd like to know what you find out.

#10 ·
So this is about 1 month later. They needed to replace the intake manifold to be able to continue the diagnostics. And that took a while because of part availability. Today I learned that the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain broke...so it is out of time. The woman that called did not know it the valves hit the pistons. They are going to call me with an estimate as well as a list of used can arm-s!!!! [This is a dealer location. Does can am offer engine exchanges or is it reasonable to try and find a used low time or miles engine [if such a option exist]. Is there a resource to find used engines in the can am world? How much is a 2013 RT can am supper RT worth is great condiition other than my current issues??
Rob

#11 ·
So this is about 1 month later.
Yep, a broken/slipped timing chain makes sense.

Spending ANY money on an engine with that kind of failure doesn't.
They should have been able to tell that it was a gonner right up front.

If I were in your shoes, I would NOT go looking for a used engine.
No telling what problems it might have.
And I wouldn't consider for a split-second fixing your old one.

Note: I removed the other 3 identical posts. :)

#12 ·
So please give me your thoughts [{anyone who can help}
So as the story goes with the broken timing chain , broken timing chain tensioner, etc. The dealer has my 2014 can am Snyder RT since 2/15/21. It now 4/1/21. We went in to look at the bike today [4/1/21], to get a feel. They were blocking the tech from talking to us at first. When I explained I am an ER doc and need my electronic stethoscope that I may have left on the side storage they let is in and my budddy took pictures. Only the mirror, cowling, and spark plugs are out or off the trike. The valve cover has not been touched. They told me they have to replace the intake manifold in order to diagnose was is gong on.? And that Took some time for parts. When I asked if this is the type of engine where the pistons hit the valves when the timing chain breaks they could not answer. They have been working on an estimate for over 10 days since they told me the timing chain broke. Do they really know what to estimate if the valve cover has not been removed? I realize that the electronic Diagnostics are great but without a manual look what can they really tell me. I need to know what the deal is to decide my next move. This a silver rated can am dealer vs the one I usually go to in NJ that is platinum. I do not know if the rating is for sales or service but there is a difference. Here. I called to ask them to bring my invoice to date as I am thinking of just taking the bike out for now. That was 6 hrs ago and no invoice. Feelings are not facts but I do not feel good about all this. They have no written or computer records or mechanic input to document what they have done but a they are claiming 13 hrs of work time!!! Ugh.
Rob

#13 ·
Feelings are not facts but I do not feel good about all this. They have no written or computer records or mechanic input to document what they have done but a they are claiming 13 hrs of work time!!! Ugh.
Rob
I share your feelings......based on the facts that you presented.
You may need a lawyer.
If they try to stick you with a huge bill for some imaginary work they didn't do, in most states a mechanics lien is a powerful thing.
Hate to say this but if it gets nasty, maybe you should just let them keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.