Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and to the spyder. After buying my RT-S two weeks ago I was shock at the price I was quoted by my dealer for the 600 mile and the 12,000 mile check up. I was told it will be about $400 for the first and $1600 for the 12,000 mile. When I asked why so much I was informed that it was due to the many panels that must come off for the inspections. Is this normal or is my dealer pushing the limits? I tried to find an old thread with this topic so, I'm sorry if this is old ground.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Your dealer is on the high side of scary... My 600 miler would have been about $250 were it not for the accent lights I had them install... I've heard reports of $1200 bucks for the 12K checkup... :eek:
There's a lot of Tupperware in the way of the important parts, and I guess that his mechanics don't work for free... Have you thought of hitting some other dealers to see if they're getting the same dollars for this work? It might be worth some phone calls... Good luck and let us know what you find!

· Premium Member
632 Posts
If the tupperware is the issue, maybe getting a quote with you taking the tupperware off before bringing it to the dealer would be an option.

Also, something I've run into is the quote is based on standard hours (from a book) not actual hours. See if they would be willing to give you the less of the two. Does the 12,000 mile checkup also includes a lot of things maybe you could do yourself.. Oil change? Air Filter Change? It might be fun to get the list of items included to see how far you could pare it down before it goes in.

· Registered
377 Posts
I am new to this forum and to the spyder. After buying my RT-S two weeks ago I was shock at the price I was quoted by my dealer for the 600 mile and the 12,000 mile check up. I was told it will be about $400 for the first and $1600 for the 12,000 mile. When I asked why so much I was informed that it was due to the many panels that must come off for the inspections. Is this normal or is my dealer pushing the limits? I tried to find an old thread with this topic so, I'm sorry if this is old ground.
Where in TN are you located? What dealership are you talking about? Just curious. I had my 6000 service (09 RS) a couple of months ago and it cost me $325.00. David

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LostInTN.

Thanks to all for your reply. I have now called other dealers and find there seems to be a wide margin in the estimates. My dealer is Alcoa Good Times in Knoxville Tn. I am just as close to Nashville although both are 100 miles away. I did think of taking the panels off myself then deliver my spyder to them ready to work on, however I would need to trailer it to them and I do not own one at this time. I think I also need to combine my service so I can ask them only to charge once for the panel removal and installation. I have ordered a CB/intercom as well as a 12volt plug for my GPS power. If I do it all at the same time it should help.

This brings up a question. Does anyone know of an after market bracket so I can mount my Garmin. It is not the 660, plus all I need is a flat surface for the suction cup somewhere between the handle bars. Thanks again for the input. Bruce...

· Registered
377 Posts
Thanks to all for your reply. I have now called other dealers and find there seems to be a wide margin in the estimates. My dealer is Alcoa Good Times in Knoxville Tn. I am just as close to Nashville although both are 100 miles away. I did think of taking the panels off myself then deliver my spyder to them ready to work on, however I would need to trailer it to them and I do not own one at this time. I think I also need to combine my service so I can ask them only to charge once for the panel removal and installation. I have ordered a CB/intercom as well as a 12volt plug for my GPS power. If I do it all at the same time it should help.

This brings up a question. Does anyone know of an after market bracket so I can mount my Garmin. It is not the 660, plus all I need is a flat surface for the suction cup somewhere between the handle bars. Thanks again for the input. Bruce...
Alcoa Good Times? Whoa! That's the dealer I use! They're good people but man oh man I didn't realize they were that expensive. Maybe there's a big difference between the RT and RS as far as maintenance goes although there shouldn't be that much. As I stated in a previous post the RS cost me $325.00 for the 6000 mile. The Yamaha T-Max cost me $150.00 for the 600 mile and of course was done at the same place since they are also the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer among others. David

· Premium Member
632 Posts

I think there is a dealer in Crossville.... or are they the ones that quoted high?

· Registered
377 Posts
I believe there's another dealer closer to you then Nashville, or Crossville. Checkout Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, just off exit 407 on IS 40. Maybe worth a call.
Kodak is about 30 minutes east of Knoxville and Mountain Motorsports is co-owned by the same people who own Alcoa Good Times. By the post it sounds as if Bruce lives west of Knoxville. David

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info on Mountain Motorsports. I live in the Monterey area between Crossville and Cookeville. MMSports web page does not say anything about them having a relationship with Can Am/BRP but, I'll call and ask them. Thanks for the reply. Bruce..

· Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the info on Mountain Motorsports. I live in the Monterey area between Crossville and Cookeville. MMSports web page does not say anything about them having a relationship with Can Am/BRP but, I'll call and ask them. Thanks for the reply. Bruce..
Alcoa Good Times is way closer to you than Mountain Motorsports and as I have posted before they are co-owned by the same people. Be assured however that both are Can-Am dealers. David

· Registered
24 Posts
HI.. Just had my 2010 RS SE's 600 mile at Flat Out Motorcycles in Indianapolis. Their price is $250.00 plus parts $325.00.

A bit higher than others I have seen posted. However the next closest is 80-120 miles away.. $100.00 is not worth my time to drive up and wait or haul up and come back later to pick up..

Nobody said it was going to be a cheap hobby. I get asked about the gas mileage all the time too.. I tell them I bought it for the Cool and Fun factor and never check the mileage. I just put fuel in when the little light comes on and Drive and Drive and Drive.

Help a Canadian Orphan find a new home in central Indiana
Help a Canadian Orphan Find a Home

· Registered
377 Posts
HI.. Just had my 2010 RS SE's 600 mile at Flat Out Motorcycles in Indianapolis. Their price is $250.00 plus parts $325.00.

A bit higher than others I have seen posted. However the next closest is 80-120 miles away.. $100.00 is not worth my time to drive up and wait or haul up and come back later to pick up..

Nobody said it was going to be a cheap hobby. I get asked about the gas mileage all the time too.. I tell them I bought it for the Cool and Fun factor and never check the mileage. I just put fuel in when the little light comes on and Drive and Drive and Drive.

Help a Canadian Orphan find a new home in central Indiana
Help a Canadian Orphan Find a Home
HA! I love your website:) For those who haven't done so already click on the "Help a Canadian Orphan Find a Home" at the end of Gruemeyer's post. So funny. David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.