Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok… I have a 2012 RSS. It belonged to my Father. I lost him to cancer in 2019. I was his Executor and I inherited his Spyder. When he passed I brought the Spyder home. I was never able to find the keys for it. The bike is registered to me now for anyone who wants to start accusing me of it being stolen. I took it to Mancuso’s in Texas City. After showing proof (title) that the bike belongs to me, I was advised to buy a new key, take it to a locksmith, have the key cut, bring it back, then they would program it. Waited a week for a blank key, took it to a locksmith that was actually able to cut it in Houston, brought it back to Texas City, they hooked up laptop to B.U.D.S. To be told they weren’t thinking when they told me what all I needed to do but 2012 was not able to have keys “programmed”. I live in Weat Columbia. At least an hour from Texas City. Had to go to Houston to a locksmith that was willing to cut the key. Then another trip to Texas City. Lots of miles and trailering this thing around. Quite a bit of expense. I took it to another dealer just to confirm what Mancuso’s claimed. Then I even reached out to BRP. All claim I have to replace the Ignition and D.E.S.S. System and have it programmed. The second dealer said I would have to find a used D.E.S.S. And ignition that had the keys and replace. Was told they do not make them anymore for this year. I have found the parts new on Amazon and eBay. The dealership is unwilling to disable D.E.S.S. For me. I found one YouTube video on how to bypass the wiring on D.E.S.S. But is not very informative. I’m not against trying it, but I have read on these forums of people that were able to get someone to bypass it for them. I’d rather have it bypassed than to start messing with the wiring. I fancy myself to be a very mechanical and more capable than most at working on things. But, when it comes to wiring it is definitely my weak link. Like I said, I’m pretty sure I can bypass wiring, but I’m concerned it may just get it to start and be in limp mode or something. If it wasn’t for the fact it was my Dads I’d just get rid of it. He was was my best friend and the most important person in my life! Lots of Sturgis trips together or just Sunday morning breakfast rides. I really need to get this thing running. After all the hassle to try and get a key and the rest of life getting in the way I just wound up parking it in my shop and letting it sit. After finding the video of how to basically hot wire it, I decided to give this forum a shot before I start cutting wires. Any help would be appreciated. Just to go ahead and say it, I’m not opposed to buying a new D.E.S.S. And ignition, but after being lied too and getting the run around over having a new key programmed, I’m just not interested in throwing money at a problem that IDK will even fix it!! If I new for a fact that is all I had to do and it would work then I would. But with all the problems I read about with this stupid D.E.S.S. System I’d rather just bypass the damn thing anyway. Once again any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
You should go BACK to that dealer who cost you so much time and money by giving you BAD information.......and insist that they disable the feature for you. And politely mention that a lawsuit might result if they don't.

Messing with the wiring yourself is NOT a good idea. The system was designed to prevent a "hot wire" theft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went through this on my 2010 I bought with out any keys. You only need to replace the DESS MODULE. even though the dealer and the service manual says you have to change the ignition switch and DESS you don’t have to. For one thing the ignition switch is not available. And since you have a key cut the first time you turn it on with the key the DESS will save that key. After that a master key is needed to prog keys. Up to 2013 models the Buds soft does not program keys or Abe to disable the DESS. All that started with the 2014 models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts