Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from North Dakota.
I was looking at the Harley Tri-glides and they are around 45,000.00 compared to the STS at 29,999.00. I have not driven either of them since I am in ND and we have a lot of snow. The local dealer has a black one in stock that is still in the crate, so I have not even seen it yet. I will be semi retiring in the next couple of years and want to do some sight seeing on it. We have a place in Davenport Fl area for when we do retire. I thought I would never buy a Spyder, thought they were kind of ugly, but the more I look at them they are growing on me. Look like a snowmobile in the front end. I plan on paying cash for it, not sure what a fair price would be on this? I will let you know more in the next few months when I pull the trigger.

· Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us.
Kinda agree with you that they aren’t the most attractive trike. But they have been around for a while and were engineered as a trike from inception. I find that more important than it’s appearance. Also, you can add accessories to personalize it to your taste.
Definitely drive one before purchase. See if anyone in your area rents them so you can have the experience for more than just a dealer test drive of a few miles. There are even some private owners who rent them out.
You didn’t mention if you are a motorcyclist. If you are, they are quite different than two wheels.
Search for a quality dealer. They are a bit difficult to find.
Google search for more Spyder Forums and Facebook Groups for more information and owner opinions.
Good luck with your purchase.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us.
Kinda agree with you that they aren’t the most attractive trike. But they have been around for a while and were engineered as a trike from inception. I find that more important than it’s appearance. Also, you can add accessories to personalize it to your taste.
Definitely drive one before purchase. See if anyone in your area rents them so you can have the experience for more than just a dealer test drive of a few miles. There are even some private owners who rent them out.
You didn’t mention if you are a motorcyclist. If you are, they are quite different than two wheels.
Search for a quality dealer. They are a bit difficult to find.
Google search for more Spyder Forums and Facebook Groups for more information and owner opinions.
Good luck with your purchase.
I have had several 2 wheel bikes. I also rode snowmobile for many years, which I see a lot of people say the steering is like on the Spyder.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hello Bruce. Like you I’m new here, too. The first time I ever saw a spyder was some years ago. To me it was a strange looking machine. I asked the owner what it was like riding one. I specifically remember him using the term “freak factor.” I had no idea what he was talking about. The guy pops open the the front trunk (frunk) and shows me his mod to stabilize the front suspension. He lined the frunk with a heavy duty plastic bag and poured a few inches of concrete into it. Craziest thing I ever saw. He said he got the tip of adding a form fitting ballast from other spyder owners and that it really help settle down the nervousness of his trikes suspension. The guy told me he doesn’t get freaked out ”as much” with the added weight.

I thought to myself who would buy such a vehicle? Who would want to ride a trike that scared the the heck out you? Fast forward some 10 years later and now I‘m interested in buying a spyder. I’ve never rode a spyder but it’s clear to me the dynamics are completely different from a 2 wheel bike. I have a lot of confidence with motorsport manufacturers refining their products over time. I’m going out on the limb here but I think it’s safe to say that adding additional weight to spyder is probably not needed. None the less his description of the spyder always stuck with me.

I have a couple of bikes I’d like to sell and replace them with a new RT or RTL. The sea to sky is a nice looking ride. I’m sure there’s an adjustment period for riding a spyder for the first time but once you clear that hurdle I’m equally sure it’s all blue skies from there. Again, I never rode a spyder but that’s how see things playing out. Have you ever watched sidecar races? The passenger is called the monkey. The guy is literally crawling all over the vehicle and at times hanging off the vehicle in turns to counter cornering forces. It’s absolutely wild. I imagine one has to be part rider and part monkey to go on spirited rides with a spyder.

If you get your ride before I do, you‘ve got to share your experience.

Good luck and happy hunting for your new sea to sky.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Bruce. Like you I’m new here, too. The first time I ever saw a spyder was some years ago. To me it was a strange looking machine. I asked the owner what it was like riding one. I specifically remember him using the term “freak factor.” I had no idea what he was talking about. The guy pops open the the front trunk (frunk) and shows me his mod to stabilize the front suspension. He lined the frunk with a heavy duty plastic bag and poured a few inches of concrete into it. Craziest thing I ever saw. He said he got the tip of adding a form fitting ballast from other spyder owners and that it really help settle down the nervousness of his trikes suspension. The guy told me he doesn’t get freaked out ”as much” with the added weight.

I thought to myself who would buy such a vehicle? Who would want to ride a trike that scared the the heck out you? Fast forward some 10 years later and now I‘m interested in buying a spyder. I’ve never rode a spyder but it’s clear to me the dynamics are completely different from a 2 wheel bike. I have a lot of confidence with motorsport manufacturers refining their products over time. I’m going out on the limb here but I think it’s safe to say that adding additional weight to spyder is probably not needed. None the less his description of the spyder always stuck with me.

I have a couple of bikes I’d like to sell and replace them with a new RT or RTL. The sea to sky is a nice looking ride. I’m sure there’s an adjustment period for riding a spyder for the first time but once you clear that hurdle I’m equally sure it’s all blue skies from there. Again, I never rode a spyder but that’s how see things playing out. Have you ever watched sidecar races? The passenger is called the monkey. The guy is literally crawling all over the vehicle and at times hanging off the vehicle in turns to counter cornering forces. It’s absolutely wild. I imagine one has to be part rider and part monkey to go on spirited rides with a spyder.

If you get your ride before I do, you‘ve got to share your experience.

Good luck and happy hunting for your new sea to sky.
I hope to have one by April 1st. The dealer near me has a black one still in the crate that I want to see before buying. He has a used 2021 that I will ask to test drive first, but with snow and 11 below wind chills right now, it may be a little early yet. :)

· Registered
2017 RTL
89 Posts
Hey buddy, the 2022 Spyder sea to sky model came in a mystery blue color only, if the one your dealer has is black, it is a RT or RTL. It is about 2500 dollars cheaper than a S2S model.
Best to double check the facts with the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts