Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a long trip - over 2500 miles. Went over to Western WA down through OR, Nev, over to CA (Yosemite) then up 101 back to WA. Hit heavy rain, snow, fog, hail and sunshine. There were 3 Harleys, a Kawasaki and my Spyder RT. Spyder held it's own except for gas mileage. Got about 31 mpg next to the Harley's high 40's mpg. Also had a little oil useage problem. Have almost 6000 miles on it now. Will see dealer about that tomorrow. Great ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sounds about right. We're averaging 27 with the 2010 RT w/ about 5,000 miles on it, and in the low 30's with the 2010 RS at almost 1000 miles.

Your mileage might not be as good as a 2 wheeler, but after all, look what you've got -- a Spyder! :D .. . . all they have is a Harley.
Cat

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Physics is not in the Spyders favor: with the big frontal area Spyders will never do as well as a two wheeler. BRP did tweak things on the RTS to improve millage over what it could have been. The RTS carries more weight, and has a bigger frontal area .... yet mileage is only slightly less than an RT. No doubt as gas prices rise, BRP will do all it can to improve mileage.

or :D the Spyder could get "Aero-modded" like this?: Aero-Modded Geo.. by a mileage fiend.

Note this quote in the article

"A participant at MaxMPG correctly pointed out that a single rear wheel design would have permitted even more body taper and less rolling resistance ... and that may be true, but it also would have taken this project well beyond a one-month "back yard" endeavor."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer's Svc Mgr says the book says to check the oil every 300 miles 'cause it's gonna use some oil!!! Sooo, live with it !!!::mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mileage sounds about right. On my cross country trip with the SE-5 2008 model I had to fill up about every 150 miles or so. The new RT-S looks to be a bit more gas hungry so far but then it is heavier and wider too. What frustrates me is when racing a Rotax engine many years ago in a four wheeled sports racer weighing more and going about 143 down the straights we got almost 35 MPG! Seems like BRP needs to do some more work on the MPG and mapping of the engine. They are answering some of the needs and wants with new models but still need to take a long look at gearing and above issues. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts