Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh,
Went to start Spyder SE5 and ride to breakfast when VSS error and limp home came on. Called Dealer, they came and got it,mechanic went to troubleshoot and found no fault record on computer. Picked it up 3 days later since they couldn't do anything with it. Rode it for a month with no issues, started fine this morning then got and EDB fault and Limp Home came on. Dealer picked up again, so am without wheels and summer is running out. Anyone else having this issue. Sure is a nice day for a ride......:(

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh and the fuel gauge is not accurate, So just reset the trip meter when I fill up and know that i can go at least another 90 miles when it first hits the E on the gauge. I have heard that all this could be caused by a bad oil pressure switch but still waiting word from the mechanic at the Dealership.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oil pressure switch? :eek: That's a new one for me. Please let me know what they say about that one too... Thanks!
My 2008 RS supposedly went through 3 of them and that is what dumped me in Klamath Falls, Oregon with no ceditable dealers within 500 miles and the reason I shoved it in a U-Haul and came home that way. When I got it back to the dealers yup another oil pressure sensing switch went bad. If you overfill the oil resevoir in any minute amount it seems to cause bubbles in the oil and I am guessing that is what triggers this event.

The bad oil sensing unit seems to be a common dealer explanation for some reason known only to them. I have trouble believing there could be that many bad ones and noted that when I had them go bad it was in prep for a long days driving when I could have overfilled the resevoir a bit in preperation for it's normal usage of oil. Each time one went I saw froth or bubbles on the oil dipstick when I checked the level. If the resevoir on a dry sump engine is designed right level should not be that critical and when this happens it can usually be traced back to the levels (there can be more than one) of the oil return lines. Nascar dry sumps pumps are 3, 4, or 5 stage pumps and they are tough to diagnose at times. Most of that work takes place on the dyno with the working system then being duplicated on the race car to stop andy problems before they happen. Bill :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure enough like the wife suspected, they ordered a new oil pressure switch and hopefully I will be able to pick up my bike next Tuesday or Wednesday, blows two weekends in a row, where did the summer go?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Limp home mode, no other indication

I've had the "limp home mode" kick in twice now. Both times were when starting the Spyder, never while underway. The problem seems to be that the computer checks with the oil pressure sensor "before" the engine has created any oil pressure. Then the computer sets the fault and puts you in limp home. You can get the system to reset by letting it get fully warm, since this occurs at first-of-day start up. Start the bike, observe that the oil pressure light on the dash goes out indicating that there really is oil pressure, then let the engine idle till there are four heat bars showing on the temp gauge. Turn it off and wait a few minutes to be sure the computer has reset itself. Then start up again. Worked for me both times and no other problems found. First instance was when the bike was ridden hard one day and then sat for three. Second was following a DIY oil change when there was no oil in the passages and the pump didn't get any to the sensor before the computer checked in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Argh,
Went to start Spyder SE5 and ride to breakfast when VSS error and limp home came on. Called Dealer, they came and got it,mechanic went to troubleshoot and found no fault record on computer. Picked it up 3 days later since they couldn't do anything with it. Rode it for a month with no issues, started fine this morning then got and EDB fault and Limp Home came on. Dealer picked up again, so am without wheels and summer is running out. Anyone else having this issue. Sure is a nice day for a ride......:(
2008 GS Manual - I now get the check engine light all the time. I now start let it run for a minute or so, shut it off, restart and the light goes off. The problem code is P0 520 - Which is power steering or oil pressure sending unit. Being I received the power steering update it looks like the oil pressure sending unit. I believe the price of the oil unit is less than $20. I am supposed to go in tomorrow. Been trying to find the unit so could fix myself.... no luck so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts