Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

New owner here and I just got my white 2010 limited edition RS-S model with SE5 transmission.

At 10 miles the Check DPS, VSS Fault and Limp Home Mode came on while I was out on my first ride. I had to drive home going less than 25 mph. I called the dealership and they came to my home and brought a laptop and did a diagnostic and then rest the computer system on it and he said it would never come back on. He took it out for a test as well and all was good.

Today I took it out for a second time and about 2 miles into my day out trip the same warnings come on and here I come limping back home.

I just called the dealership and demanded they replace it. Since I am a woman on a bike, and have rode crotch rockets for a while, im not a novice rider. But I explained to him I need something dependable. They said there was nothing they could do. I made a suggestion that they could take it as a trade-in and they are not happy with that. What should I do? I want to have a spyder but I feel like I have a lemon on my hands. I cannot chance riding around wondering if the check engine crap is going to hit me when im out without my husband.

Whats a girl to do? How would you handle this situation with the dealer?

· Registered
55 Posts
are you riding with your foot touching the brake and not realizing your doing it? If so this is prob the reason it's coming on. Stop the bike take the key completely out and restart the bike keep your foot off the brake and it should not come back on ever.

· Registered
303 Posts
I would suggest that you charge the battery for a few days using a good battry tender. I would also insist that the dealer re-tightens the battery connections. I have heard of this problem a a large number of RS & RT's.

You have an 2010 that has been setting around for awhile now. The computers on these roadsters are very touchy about the voltage.

· Registered
377 Posts
I concur with all the comments made by others thus far. Is there another dealer within commuting distance? What dealer are you using now? Poor or disreputable dealers should be identified by name. I have a good one albeit expensive (Alcoa Good Times). David

· Registered
7 Posts
I also had the same problem..RT-S....Ended up being a bad connection with the ground to the battery....I also read some posts and a loose bulb in the socket can cause the same problem...it was explained to me that if something goes wrong along the one loop wiring harness (like a loose ground wire) it will send a default code for most of the electical to the computer..... causing the screen to say DPS / VSS mode limp home...your check engine light and traction control light will also come on......The dealer should have picked up on all that when they hooked up the laptop....clearing the codes by resetting the computer won't fix the problem...thats just an easy way out when you don't know what to do....like killing the power to your laptop when it locks up!.....lol....

· Registered
19 Posts
First 2 weeks of ownership (bought 2010 SM5 new), 10 days in the shop with exactly the same problem, repeated limp mode , VSS, DSP errors. I thought the same thing, " not dependable".
They re-calibrated the computer settings, found a loose connection, 900 miles later no issues what so ever, runs perfectly.
Find a reputable dealer, early ownership bugs....

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys

New owner here and I just got my white 2010 limited edition RS-S model with SE5 transmission.

At 10 miles the Check DPS, VSS Fault and Limp Home Mode came on while I was out on my first ride. I had to drive home going less than 25 mph. I called the dealership and they came to my home and brought a laptop and did a diagnostic and then rest the computer system on it and he said it would never come back on. He took it out for a test as well and all was good.

Today I took it out for a second time and about 2 miles into my day out trip the same warnings come on and here I come limping back home.

I just called the dealership and demanded they replace it. Since I am a woman on a bike, and have rode crotch rockets for a while, im not a novice rider. But I explained to him I need something dependable. They said there was nothing they could do. I made a suggestion that they could take it as a trade-in and they are not happy with that. What should I do? I want to have a spyder but I feel like I have a lemon on my hands. I cannot chance riding around wondering if the check engine crap is going to hit me when im out without my husband.

Whats a girl to do? How would you handle this situation with the dealer?
My wife's SE5 had frequent problems that sound similar. Turns out she was shifting to higher gears too soon. Now she stays in 3rd up to 45 MPH, 4th up to 55 MPH, and uses 5th only when going over 55 MPH. Seems to work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.