Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I recently installed the Kewlmetal RS performance air filter kit on a 09 GS SE5 and I'm experiencing a high idle. This is happening intermittently. I did not install a fuel management box as I was told I may or may not need one. I'm not getting any back firing from the exhaust.

I live is south Louisiana where I'm pretty much at sea level so altitude isn't a factor.

Has anyone experienced this with this performance air filter install ? What was your fix to this ?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
hi idle?

is that not normal for Spyders?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi idle?

is that not normal for Spyders?
Let me re-phrase that, higher than normal.

It wants to idle around 1800 rpm and to the point that when you take your foot off the brake in first gear it tends to roll on you. It was not doing this prior to the new air filter installation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From talking to the tech in service, make sure all your lines and sensors are hooked up,if it's flowing that much more then stock,the stock ECM cant compensate for that much,looks like a tuner might have to be in order.
Paulie,

Thanks for your helpful advice !

Ray

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think of it as going from breathing though a straw to going to a fire hose.

Those machine are so computer controlled that even if you swap out for the handlebar risers,we have to re flash the machine to let it know we did that,same goes for a slip on exhaust or a air filter kit, if it was just a drop in filter more or likely you would not need anything but a whole kit is a different story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think of it as going from breathing though a straw to going to a fire hose.

Those machine are so computer controlled that even if you swap out for the handlebar risers,we have to re flash the machine to let it know we did that,same goes for a slip on exhaust or a air filter kit, if it was just a drop in filter more or likely you would not need anything but a whole kit is a different story.
I hear what your saying, that probably explains why my initial 10 or 15 min test drive after I replaced the air filter it did not act up.

The next days ride was more like 45 minutes and probably long enough for the ECM to figure things out and realize it couldn't adjust for the extra air flow ???

Thanks again for your time !!!

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you get a box for your ride, did you disconnect the battery? One of the most forgotten things is to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset itself. There should be a process for it either in your owners manual (replacing the battery) or in the service manual and possibly online.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts