Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it going to cause a spyder any problems if you keep it outside at all times? I would keep it covered when not in use, but was wondering if it would cause any long term damage to the spyder?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have heard of issues with people that use car covers in windy areas. If the cover does not fit correctly, it may rub on the paint.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I can't imagine there'd be a problem storing your Spyder outside, as long as you lock the handlebars at night... these tend to draw attention. I'd hate to hear that it took a walk in the night.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
since I need to store it outside too I was told to do a few things

I have the out door cover then put a good towel over the windshield before covering it up

get moth balls and scatter them under and around the bike for the critters

try to start it up every once in a while and get a good battery tender (charger) for bikes/atvs

make sure to use the same stuff one puts in lawn mower gas to stop it from going bad, but make sure the tank is close to being empty and then run it for a while so it goes through the entire fuel system

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's called fuel stabilizer. There are different brands but I use "Stay-Bill" (sp). This stuff really works. Had an old lawn tractor that had not been run in a couple of years that fired right up after I put a new battery in it. I learned about it from a farmer friend of mine years ago that has equipment that sits for extended periods of time. Unleaded fuel goes bad much faster than regular old gas used to. I have always heard that the tank should be full.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
my guy said that even with the stuff in the tank it will still go bad in around 3 months or so

this way you will only have a little bit of bad gas to worry about when you fill up for the first time

·
Registered
570 Posts
A full tank is not suppose to get as much water condensation as an empty tank will. Kind of a catch 22, condensation versus fuel going bad. Makes me like living in Phoenix where I can ride year round for the most part.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I start with a full tank for the quiet season and start my bike up every couple of weeks throughout the lull in the action. I have also heard that Star-Tron actuly works better than Sta-bil because it can handle the ethanol mixtures better.
But now I've also heard that Sta-bil has reformulated their juice... :confused:

Anyway; the key is to keep the juices flowing in theengine to keep them from settling in and gooping up something... :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
ethanol?

i thought that was for drinking?

hehe

·
Registered
504 Posts
There are places here in Boise that sell non ethinol fuel. I try and use this most of the time but for sure will fill up with that when it comes time to put the spyder to bed for the winter. Like Bob I will start it up regularly and on nice days will get it out for a spin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts