Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a K&N drop in Air filter for my 09 RS SE5, I see alot of talk about having to run the bike for 15 minutes when a new performance muffler is installed and I assume that is for the ECU to make injector adjustments. Well since the muffler affects air out, would that also need to be done with a free/increased flow air filter??
Been ridin' for 30 plus years, only 2 weeks with my Spyder.
Would make sense to me, but then I am new to the Spyder.
Thanks in advance,
Ike

· Registered
504 Posts
Put a K & N filter in my RS last week and have to report that I am very pleased. I did not expect to see how much smoother the engine runs with this filter. There also seems to be a bit of pick up in power but it was worth it just for the smoothness.

As with anything you do with the Spyder it was more work removing the body works than actually changing the filter. It also helps to pull the top piece behind the handle bars.

· Super Moderators
2,782 Posts
too bad they don't make them for the RT

at least that's what my parts guy says

· Registered
504 Posts
I couldn't tell from the K & N site that the RT is any different as far as the air filter is concerned. I looked for the RT filter and one of the sites that sells the "green" pre oiled filter for the RT it looks for all the world to be the same as the RS.

I think changing one out on the RT would be more of a challange than the RS but I think it would be worth it if one is available.

· Super Moderators
2,782 Posts
yeah I actually ordered one when the bike was being built but they said the RS one would not fit the bike so not sure, but sure would like to get one as I have one in both of my cars

· Registered
504 Posts
Both side panels and top piece in front of the seat need to come off to make it easy to get to the filter box snaps. If memory serves I also pulled the rubber hose on the right side of the top air cleaner box. I can't remember which side the actual air cleaner is on but I think it's also on the right side. I just worked the top over enough to get the old air cleaner out and the K&N in. I also seem to remember that one of the snaps in front was a pain in the rear to get re snapped but other than that not to bad of a job to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.