Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 82 years old and transitioned from 2-wheels about four years ago with a 2013 RT Limited. It took awhile for me to adjust to the Spyder (it just wasn't two wheels) but I eventually got there and now I thoroughly enjoy it.
I recently purchased a new 2021 RT Limited and am looking to make a few changes. One change I want to make is to extend the handle bars. The Can-am extended handlebars are quite expensive but they do have three different settings. since I don't do my own work I will have the installation cost also. The after market bars are reasonably priced but having no experience with either one I am at a loss as to which way to go. I actually think I would like the after market handle bars better but hesitate to make the change and have them not fit me.
If any of you have had any experience or thoughts that might help me in making my decision I would very much appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
One change I want to make is to extend the handle bars.
I was able to solve the "short arms" problem by having a custom seat made that has the seating position a couple of inches farther forward. That made the leg positions better too.

You can test that out by rolling up a small towel and putting it behind your butt on the seat to move you forward some.

If you don't want the expense of a custom seat OR replacement bars, you can get something like a gel seat pad and double it over and locate it at your seat back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to solve the "short arms" problem by having a custom seat made that has the seating position a couple of inches farther forward. That made the leg positions better too.

You can test that out by rolling up a small towel and putting it behind your butt on the seat to move you forward some.

If you don't want the expense of a custom seat OR replacement bars, you can get something like a gel seat pad and double it over and locate it at your seat back.
Thanks for your reply Easy Rider. I have tried sitting forward and found it didn't fit my preferred sitting position. I like a slightly reclined position as opposed to a more erect one and as much leg room as I can get. I will try your suggestion with the doubled over gel cushion to see if it makes a difference but I really think my solution will be to find the right handle bars. Thanks again for your help. Jim

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
Jim. Your a Legend. Im impressed and in short pants compared to you. Just thinking there may be some local to you Blokes who may be able to help you out. If you cant think of any who may be able to help. Maybe go for a ride and keep an eye out for parked Spyders and coffee shops. Local Spyder club. Mate if you were closer I would drop whatever project I was on and do my best to help you out here. Grab one of your Grandies or any kid really and get them to have a surf looking for a local club. Surley you have some like minded Blokes up your way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am 82 years old and transitioned from 2-wheels about four years ago with a 2013 RT Limited. It took awhile for me to adjust to the Spyder (it just wasn't two wheels) but I eventually got there and now I thoroughly enjoy it.
I recently purchased a new 2021 RT Limited and am looking to make a few changes. One change I want to make is to extend the handle bars. The Can-am extended handlebars are quite expensive but they do have three different settings. since I don't do my own work I will have the installation cost also. The after market bars are reasonably priced but having no experience with either one I am at a loss as to which way to go. I actually think I would like the after market handle bars better but hesitate to make the change and have them not fit me.
If any of you have had any experience or thoughts that might help me in making my decision I would very much appreciate your input.
When I bought my 2020 RT limited they had a floor model with adjustable handle bars so they could figure out what bars you should leave the dealership with.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I bought my 2020 RT limited they had a floor model with adjustable handle bars so they could figure out what bars you should leave the dealership with.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
FYI Follow up re: Handlebars..... After much research I I ended up buying the "Helibar" adjustable handlebars. Then watched a You Tube video on how to install them. Even I, Mr. non-mechanical, was able to install them. The 'Helibars" worked out great, I love them. I also installed an after market drivers back rest and had the dealer put on a Baja Ron sway bar. Then took a two hundred mile ride through the back roads of California Gold Country, I could not be happier with the results. The Helibars and the backrest made a huge difference in my comfort on the ride. I will need a few more miles on the Baja Ron sway bars to be sure but I feel they made an improvement in the cornering of the machine also. After the ride I took my 2021 RT Limited to the dealer for it's first oil change and inspection. The (15+ years) long time Spyder mechanic there was also very impressed with the "Helibars. Check them out if you are thinking about changing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts