Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am extremely interested in owning a Spyder. However, I live in the Cayman Islands, a country where ATVs are not street legal.

If the machine is listed as a motorcycle i can get it, but florida seems to list them as ATVs. Does anyone know where they csn be purchased with the documentation showing it as a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I think you are mistaken in that belief.
What exactly makes you think that ?
The Florida DMV that does the license, title and registration certainly calls mine a motorcycle.
Oh interesting! Not being from the states i am not familiar with how it works. I called the dealerships and was told that they have them listed as ATVs.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,252 Posts
I called the dealerships and was told that they have them listed as ATVs.
Maybe you asked the wrong question.
Or mis-understood the answer.

I have NEVER heard a Spyder referred to as an ATV.
In fact their design does not work well in a lot of off-road terrains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may be going about this the wrong way. The Cayman Islands DMV or Motor Vehicle registry will obviously have the last word on the subject. I think you should take a picture of a Spyder, or a Brochure from CanAm/BRP and talk to a supervisor. Before you import one, you need an OFFICIAL decision on the legality.
I am a Canadian who spends the winters in Florida, and Spyders are definitely road legal in all Provinces of Canada and I believe all States. In Canada, ATVs are not, although in rural areas they are frequently driven on public roads, and would be insured, plated with the rider wearing a helmet. If stopped I believe the rider would explain the they are going from one off-road area to another.
I trailered a Spyder to Florida, and rode it around south Florida. They are quite common here.
I might add that I have a friend in the Dominican Republic, and he bought his wife a "mini-Spyder" (a 250cc Chinese made 3 wheeler), and she rides it everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts