Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's very little details in the Spyder manual for the iPod controls and so far I've only been able to switch between playlists on my iPod. The manual states:

"Press and hold the LEFT/RIGHT button
for more than one second to change
the playlist if the playlist item is selected,
to change the artist if the artist
item is selected and to change the album
if the album item is selected."

Does anyone know how to switch between artists or albums? The manual says "... if the artist item is selected ..." but I have not been able to figure out how to select an artist or album.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
the Ipod controls are very basic.

all you can from the control panel is to switch to your playlists ( which you set up from your computer's ITunes). to swap playlists yopu hold down the control button as you said and it will cycle through each one but is slow as anything and you can't jump from say #1 to # 20. you have to go through each one which is a pain if you are like me and have over 100 gig on it which means like over 400 playlists for me.

so what I have done is to set up the shuffle funtion on the song list on the Ipod itself so I just get everything and don't even try for individual artists

the other thing you can do is to just put on your Ipod the songs/playlists you want to listen to on that particular day. for me this is a pain so I just go the other way..

oh and the ONLY way to pause the Ipod when it's hooked up to the bike is to swap to a different audio function such as radio or satelite radio, there is no pause button in the bikes control panel

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with Paladin, the iPod control is very basic at best. Don't even try to listen to an audio book.

That said, I will manually set my iPod to a Genius playlist at the start of the ride to set the music for my mood.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I have not tried to make a genius playlist as I like 99% of all our music so I just set it on song shuffle and see what comes up

·
Registered
163 Posts
Been curious about how well the ipod integration works. Does anyone know if the ipod connection keeps the ipod charged as well? What about when it's off? don't want it charging while off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Paladin for confirming what I suspected.... the manual is misleading and the controls are VERY basic. I'm going to try creating a few Genius playlists or manually create a few which are good for riding. The name of the playlist matters also since my Spyder seems to always start at the first playlist.

Is anyone else having problems with the connection to their iPod failing? It is rare for me to not have the iPod "disconnect" and the Spyder revert back to AUX on the display. The physical connection to the iPod is fine, but it seems that electrically it will drop out somehow. On a couple of occasions when this has happened my iPod must be rebooted as it's in a frozen state saying "Ok to disconnect" with the BRP logo displayed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
@Arr MiHardies -- the iPod does charge. However, my Nano 6G shuts itself down after a couple of hours after the engine is shutdown.

@eph911 -- I have had to reboot my Nano once I think. For the most part it seems to work well. That is nice because it has a cracked screen and while the display does work, I would rather not risk a cut finger. So I leave it plugged into the Spyder at all times. I do update the music once in a while.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For my ipod when I'm driving, I created a smart playlist that only plays my songs rated 4 or 5 stars. To populate it, i created a second playlist that only contains songs containing that I have not yet rated. as the songs played, I rated them, causing them to get moved automatically to my best of playlist and/or removed from the unrated playlist. Were I to attach an ipod to my spyder, Id likely only ever use that one best of playlist.

as for the ipod charging when the bike is off, id be concerned about draining my bikes battery.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
as far as I know the Ipod turns itself off when the bike is off

the other power connection does not however

1 - 9 of 9 Posts