CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated on aonther thread I am looking into buy a spyder. Today I looked at insurance for the things. Progessive wanted $2,200 and Gico wanted $1,400.

I am 28, single, no tickets or anything in the past 3 years, CLEAN record. I dont understand why so much to insure the dang thang. I have a $40K truck with a $250 deductable ($1,000 deductable on the spyder was what I choose) and the ins is $1,100.

Looks to me like a 17000 toy would cost much less to insure. Why so much?

·
Registered
37 Posts
As stated on aonther thread I am looking into buy a spyder. Today I looked at insurance for the things. Progessive wanted $2,200 and Gico wanted $1,400.

I am 28, single, no tickets or anything in the past 3 years, CLEAN record. I dont understand why so much to insure the dang thang. I have a $40K truck with a $250 deductable ($1,000 deductable on the spyder was what I choose) and the ins is $1,100.

Looks to me like a 17000 toy would cost much less to insure. Why so much?
I have my house, two cars, and another motorcycle through Allstate (I live in Nevada). They quoted me $650 for full coverage (everything) for the year.

I'm 40 and married plus the insurance - so that may have a larger impact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re

I got my through the dealer today. $576.00 yr. I called progressive, Geico and some of the others and they were between 2200-2900 per year. My record is clean. I will check with my dealer today when I pick up my Se @ 4:00 and ask them the name of the insurance company.

·
Registered
51 Posts
check with american modern insurance group.
I am in central fl and my cost is only $540 per year. 1/3 of the cost of my auto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try Foremost.com. My quote came in at $426 (annual) for the following coverages:
Bodily Injury = 100000/300000
Property Damage = 100000
Passenger Liability (Included)
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist = 100000/300000
Medical Payments = 1000
Comprehensive = 500 deductible
Collision = 1000 deductible
Optional Equipment = 3500

I'm multiple decades older than you but you should least give it an online try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best price I found was $1050/year. I really was expecting it to be $500 to maybe $800. I was told by one of the agents the biggest thing was being in an accident in 2005. A drunk driver ran a light and hit me running about 60 ( T-bone ). Even though it was not my fault and the other driver was sited at fault it still made me a higher risk. Wrong place wrong time type thing.

Now I have to decide if I really want this thing and if I am willing to pay that much for insurance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try Geico. I live in Vegas which has the nations highest insurance rate, and without any other insurance with them, they quoted me $845 including full comprehensive, etc.

The deal with the spyder insurance is that insurance companies are just looking at the engine size, the new model year, and not knowing how to handle it. There isn't enough data for them to see if it is a "safe" bike or not, so they are all assuming it isn't even though it has more safety features built in than any other bike before it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two things against you: Single and under 30.

I'm married and over 50. Squeeky clean, multi-car, multi-line.....$550 yr from State Farm.
Same as my 2005 GL1800 Goldwing.

bj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im 21 single and no tickets sence 18 so im pretty much clear but my insurance is still high i think it has to do with the power to weight ratio on the spyder. aka 1000cc's i pay bout 1200 every 6 months

·
Registered
6 Posts
Insurance Costs for Spyder

I am surprised by the insurance figures being mentioned here. I got my Spyder SE5 yesterday---called GMAC Insurance in St. Louis, and got full coverage, liability and collision for $198 per year---I have two others insured and a 30 year good record. I'd check with GMAC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GEICO does not write motorcycle insurance in MA

2010 RT A/C

I need to carry high limits (50/100 & 250/500) to coordinate with my umbrulla liability, got 2 quotes both based on the actual VIN so they should have the right machine:

- Amica (who insures almost everything else for us) $ 943
- Progressive $634

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might want to ask them what the second year will be.
When I first insured with Progressive back in 2008 the first year was ~800 but the second year was only 440.

It's that old story if you don't crash it the first year you are much less likely to crash it the second year :D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I am a licensed insurance btoker here in New York with over 30 years of experience under my belt... I wrote my RT A&C through American Modern Home Insurance for $540 a year with comprehensive and collision deductibles of $500, and 100/300/100 liability.
Now... My age, :eek:driving record and where I live work for me here...
As to the Spyders... They cost more to insure than a factory Tri-Glide... but the performance level is quite a bit higher on these than on the HogTrikes.
My advice is to keep shopping, take an MSF course, and run higher deductibles if you can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
61 Posts
ho ho ho...

how do you divide multiple decades into 76....??

Glad to know others my age, I think, are here..
OR into 78???? I'm here, same age as you!:D

My State Farm ins is $458 and 2 yrs ago I was hit head on and totaled my Harley, lost a leg and now have an RT. The 82 yr old guy was entering the freeway on an off ramp. Don't understand insurance at all!!!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Insurance is (I think!) intended not to be understood; only endured... :rolleyes:
It's too bad that you lost a bike to a guy who probably shouldn't be driving anything other than his kids NUTZ! Did you get the RT because it doesn't tip over at stoplights? :D That's why I got mine! (Too many years of Type One diabetes...)

That, and I can walk away w/o puttin' the kick stand down!!!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts