Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase my first spyder SE5.. I have had motorcycles an atv's all my life.. I got enjuried 5 years ago an sold my street bike due to leg problems.. I have had to have both of my knee's replaced an have some back troubles.. That is the reasoning behind me want to get one of these bikes.. I would like to have everyone's input on these.. I think I have found a pretty good deal on a brand new 2009 for 14k.. Everyone please give me your imput on these.. THe good, the bad an the ugly.. Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
How did you get the injuries? As for the new 2009 for 14k, I think that is too much. If it were a 2010 then maybe. Is this your local dealership and if so where is it located? If you just want to give the local guy your business then okay I guess since 14k isn't all that bad. If you want to save a bit more go on cycletrader.com and do a search and see what you find. Let us know. David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got back problems, too, and found the Spyder RS comfortable in that respect. Keeps me from putting too much pressure on my spine, which is a total relief. You can also get handlebar risers and even different seats to make your ride more comfortable for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you get the injuries? As for the new 2009 for 14k, I think that is too much. If it were a 2010 then maybe. Is this your local dealership and if so where is it located? If you just want to give the local guy your business then okay I guess since 14k isn't all that bad. If you want to save a bit more go on cycletrader.com and do a search and see what you find. Let us know. David
I was cutting trees an one kicked back on my takeing out my knee's.. Plus now I have severe osteoarthritis in one of my hips an back.. Just thought one of these would be great for me riding an not putting any pressure on my knee's an back..

The answer is no as far as my local dealer.. They dont have anything other then a 2011 RS-S an it is 17500.00+1050 for tax.. I just cant afford that right now.. The dealer that I am talking to is about 200 miles from me..

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome to the party! :D I'm sorry to hear that injuries have threatened to put a halt to your motorcycling days... :eek:
The Spyders are a viable alternative to two-wheeled transportation. Please note that that I said "alternative"... they don't ride or handle at all like a bike; it feels much more like a snowmobile or an ATV. They offer a stable platform for those of us who just can't hold up a bike at stop signs or just lackthe leg strength to catch one if it starts to tip a bit...
I'd have to say that your best course of action is to find a dealer who will let you try one out on a test ryde... Not all dealers allow this, so it might take some "legwork" to find one! (SORRY!) Don't worry if your first ryde feels unsettling; there is a period of adjustment necessary to get used to the differences.
But... At least it'll let you know if there's some potential here!
Please let us know how you make out in this endeavor... Good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was cutting trees an one kicked back on my takeing out my knee's.. Plus now I have severe osteoarthritis in one of my hips an back.. Just thought one of these would be great for me riding an not putting any pressure on my knee's an back..

The answer is no as far as my local dealer.. They dont have anything other then a 2011 RS-S an it is 17500.00+1050 for tax.. I just cant afford that right now.. The dealer that I am talking to is about 200 miles from me..
As I originally said 14k is a bit high but not out of the question. As to how you got your injuries - Ouch! That hurts just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injuries.

The Good: From the input I've read over the years, I can say the Spyder is a good choice. The comment above about the RS seating position not being hard on your back is correct, it is a little "sporty", so you are leaning forward, depending on where your back hurts, this could be good or bad. If you need a more upright position, use handle bar risers on the RS (of course the the RT delivers that too, but for a lot higher $'s). It is hard to find a more comfortable and safe ride in the open air.

If the Spyder is new/on MSO, than the warranty will not start until you buy it :) Make sure all service bulletins have been performed and tested......

Another good thing, Spyders seem to hold their value pretty well, partially because of the uniqueness (no competition in the marketplace), and some because of the price for new ones rising from year to year.

The Bad: One downside for you I see might be the 200 miles from the dealership thing. That could end up being a hassle if you need much service and/or do not do the basics yourself (oil changes, etc)

The Ugly: hmmmm, can't think of any.

Be sure to try and set up a test drive, that is the only way you'll know for sure it will be a good fit.

We hope you are enjoying a Spyder on the road soon :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about your injuries.

The Good: From the input I've read over the years, I can say the Spyder is a good choice. The comment above about the RS seating position not being hard on your back is correct, it is a little "sporty", so you are leaning forward, depending on where your back hurts, this could be good or bad. If you need a more upright position, use handle bar risers on the RS (of course the the RT delivers that too, but for a lot higher $'s). It is hard to find a more comfortable and safe ride in the open air.

If the Spyder is new/on MSO, than the warranty will not start until you buy it :) Make sure all service bulletins have been performed and tested......

Another good thing, Spyders seem to hold their value pretty well, partially because of the uniqueness (no competition in the marketplace), and some because of the price for new ones rising from year to year.

The Bad: One downside for you I see might be the 200 miles from the dealership thing. That could end up being a hassle if you need much service and/or do not do the basics yourself (oil changes, etc)The Ugly: hmmmm, can't think of any.

Be sure to try and set up a test drive, that is the only way you'll know for sure it will be a good fit.

We hope you are enjoying a Spyder on the road soon :p

I have ended up working a deal with my local dealer.. He is only 30 miles from me.. He didnt have it in stock but has went to another dealer to get what I wanted.. I will be able to pick it up today (Friday).. Thanks for your imput..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!! Looking forward to hearing your sigh of relief when you don't feel the pain in your back when you ride. :) Oh, and pictures... will need to see some, for sure!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well got home with it Friday night about 6pm.. We logged about 25 miles on it.. Me the wife an a buddy on his Harley went for a ride yesterday (112 miles) All I can say is AWSOME.. Never would have dreamed that it was have has such a good ride.. It didnt take me long to get the feal of it.. I havent been on a bike in 12 years but have had atv's.. I am very please an happy that I made the purchase... Here is a couple pictures..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Nice!!! :D How did the ride feel for your back? Did your knees do ok since there wasn't an issue with balance?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Breaking in period. Glad its working out well for you!!! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts