Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding two wheel motorcycles for 50 + years and this will be my first 3 wheeler. I want a good touring rig that has GPS and that I can add Sirius to. I can't find very much information on the internet about these two features, other than Can Am having a GPS accessary that you can order to clamp to your handlebar.

If anyone has any experience with either of these features on their Spyder I would appreciate hearing from you. I don't know which model I'll be getting yet, but it will probably be in the F3 Limited family. It depends on what colors will be offered and what accessories they will have.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
Pretty sure that the Spyder line does NOT have a "standard" GPS accessory anymore.
Not a Sirus receiver either.

All of that was replaced by an "electronic dashboard" for which you need a smart phone with the proper apps.
Or an add-on Sirius receiver.
But that doesn't work very good either from the reports of most owners.

When you are ready to pull the trigger, don't assume anything.
Whatever "accessories" are really important to you, get it in writing from the dealer and void the sale if they can't live up to their promises.

I think 2018 was the last model year for fully integrated audio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been riding two wheel motorcycles for 50 + years and this will be my first 3 wheeler. I want a good touring rig that has GPS and that I can add Sirius to. I can't find very much information on the internet about these two features, other than Can Am having a GPS accessary that you can order to clamp to your handlebar.

If anyone has any experience with either of these features on their Spyder I would appreciate hearing from you. I don't know which model I'll be getting yet, but it will probably be in the F3 Limited family. It depends on what colors will be offered and what accessories they will have.
The XM radio and CB are no longer offered as options on the 2020+ Can- Ams. I suggest using a Ram mount for your phone to get XM radio and GPS through your blue tooth headset. The lack of these accessories is a great disappointment to me having them added to my 2016 RTS. As for the GPS, it's overly expensive and not worth the money. It's a Garmin unit that is slow and needs constant updating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Claimbo, what I'd like to find out is if I can get Serius other than through my phone. I'm frequently in areas where there is no phone service, so if I have something that comes through the phone I'll lose the signal. On my Polaris Rzr I managed to get Sirius through an Onyx + fed into the Ride Direct system and I'm hoping that I can do something similar if I get a Can AM. Then I can blue tooth it to my headset.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2021 RT Limited. After 4-5 hours of trying to get the dash technology working from my phone I set up a clamp for my phone on the handlebar, put sirius on the phone and use google maps or Scenic on the phone to route. I have the sound for both come through my Sena or bike speakers. I also added a Tomtom GPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2021 RT Limited. After 4-5 hours of trying to get the dash technology working from my phone I set up a clamp for my phone on the handlebar, put sirius on the phone and use google maps or Scenic on the phone to route. I have the sound for both come through my Sena or bike speakers. I also added a Tomtom GPS.
RP, this fine until you ride where there is no phone signal. I frequently ride where I have no phone signal, so I would lose the music and the map directions.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
RP, this fine until you ride where there is no phone signal. I frequently ride where I have no phone signal, so I would lose the music and the map directions.
Maybe not.

The GPS function of most cell phones does NOT depend on a continuous cell signal to work.
It "reads" the same satellites as a "real" GPS does for it's navigation fix.

It does need a cell signal to download new sections of the map as you move around though.
Most people don't spend much time in places where there is no cell connection for LONG distances.

As for the Sirius app.......you likely are right on that, since I doubt your phone has any real satellite radio capacility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts