Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I just bought a used 2009 RS SM5 about a week and a half ago with just over 7,000 miles on it. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm going to have to replace the rear tire next week. Previous owner must have really burned it out. I'm in Albuquerque, NM, so if there are other ryders out there in the area--please give me a shout. I'm looking for some folks locally that I can get together and ride with.

One question for the community: The previous owner did not have the scheduled 6,000 mile checks completed, but has changed the oil every 3,000 miles. It runs great, and that scheduled check costs $500. Do y'all think that is necessary, or could I just wait until 9,000 miles? He did tell me the steering recall was completed, but I'm taking his word for it.

Also, any advice for a new rider is appreciated. I'm new to motorcycles, but did complete the MSF safety course and I've done every drill in the owner's maual for new riders. I even keep cones in my trunk so I can set them up in an empty parking lot on a whim.

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sounds like you're doing things the right way. You're going to have fun. If I were you I would be double sure all recalls have been completed by calling the dealer. All you have to do is give them your VIN and they can tell you right away if everything is good to go. I would also notify BRP of the change of ownership. Just look in the back of your owner's manual for specifics. Do you still have any warranty left? If so I would go ahead and get the 6000 service completed. If not and everything's running fine it's up to you. David

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I just called the dealer--it was easy as pie. I'm missing an update on some hose/canister and they are ordering the parts. Even though I'm out of warranty it's all free. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! You've found a great place, and good people to help you with your questions. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sassapants! Hey--got another question. When I'm going into turns, I'm leaning in. But sometimes I feel like the bike isn't going to hold the road. Is that me just being a novice and I'll get better with it the more I ride (i.e.: trust the bike) or is there a particular technique I should be using? I know the out-in-out technique for turns, I guess I'm just not that confident. Would love to hear thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks Sassapants! Hey--got another question. When I'm going into turns, I'm leaning in. But sometimes I feel like the bike isn't going to hold the road. Is that me just being a novice and I'll get better with it the more I ride (i.e.: trust the bike) or is there a particular technique I should be using? I know the out-in-out technique for turns, I guess I'm just not that confident. Would love to hear thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
Andy
As others have said - it'll get better with time and experience. In turns lean into the turn, drop a hip off on that side if you can, not absolutely necessary but it helps and of course hold on with your knees. At first you will have to think about these actions before each turn but within a few weeks it will become a habit and you'll find you almost never have to give it a thought. As far as the Spyder holding the road, that probably has more to do with you than the Spyder. By that I mean when it feels like the Spyder is going too wide in a turn it is you who is not turning it in as hard as you could. Again that is normal for a newbie. Some are afraid to turn it in hard for fear of sliding or overturning. Ain't gonna happen on a Spyder, at least not under normal or close to normal riding conditions. The VSS (vehicle stability control) will see to that. Try practicing turns in a large parking lot at a speed sufficient enough to cause a slide and as you turn try turning in even more. What is going to happen is when the VSS senses the inside wheel lifting up or it senses lose of traction (sliding) it will brake one or more of the wheels and it will reduce your throttle. Wala! You now have your control back. I know from experience on the open road. I ride, shall we say, very aggressively and frequently activate the VSS. David

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great advice! Thank you, I will try that. You hit the nail on the head in regard to what I am feeling. I feel like that inside wheel is going to come up and I'm going to flip over. I'll try some more aggressive turns in the parking lot and see how the VSS works. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you aren't leaning in sufficiently, the centrifugal force may be playing tricks on you, too. Lean a bit more, and see if that helps as well. Definitely hold on with your knees, though that will probably be natural when you slide off the seat a little.

I felt what you felt, as well, when I first started. Hang in there!!! :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to update: I went riding tonight in the foothills of Sandia mountain. The tips about squeezing your legs together and trying to get a hip over--those are pure gold! It really helped me when I got back into town and hit some turns. I think the key is to anticipate the turn and know what you're going to do before you get there. Thanks again!!! BTW--I still cant go anywhere without being stopped to ask about the bike. Pretty fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know how you feel.. I am 1047.6 miles into my RS.. I rode it on one of our country roads that has an S Turn.. Speed limit reduces to 25MPH.. This is one of my Skill level gauges.

Day One - 10mph and my butt pinched a hole in my seat.
400miles - 20 mph only bruised the seat
950 miles - 35 mph no pucker at all..

Round abouts are still only at about 15-20 mph..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK that was HILARIOUS! Good to know about the turns. I was out and about again today and when I anticipate the turns, I am fine. It's when I don't get a good lean in prior that I mess up and then have to brake in the turn and then I'm clutching in the turn. Yesterday I did that and goosed it in a turn and the back tire actually slid toward the outside of the turn for a second. I'm going back up to the mountain tomorrow to practice turning some more.

Oh...and my seat now has about 5 holes in it! :) I know it's supposed to be the "Y Factor", but sometimes it can be the "Pucker Factor" LOL

Andy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
LOL!!!

If the seat doesn't have at least one hole in it, you're not really riding it!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts