Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First keys I have seen without a hole in the top for a key ring!
There are accessories on Amazon to add to the key, but look pricey for what you get.
Was wondering if there are other alternatives members may have used or discovered.
Wife has sewn fabric shrouds around the heads of keys in the past where the plastic top part of a truck key broke off.
Thanks in advance for any solutions you may have!

· Registered
2022 Spyder RT Limited
4 Posts
My keys came with a plastic boot that DOES have a key ring hole it it. The key fits into the book very snug and I don't see the boot falling off the key without substantial tug. I'm so happy with that, I returned the key frames I bought for them.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
USE the plastic boot that comes with the keys. It has kept my spare key on my ring for about 7 years now.

That is IN my pocket though.

If you insist on having your keys flapping in the wind attached to your belt.......then you are on your own.

· Registered
10 Posts
Any help on finding a replacement key boot ? Are they available separately, or do I have to buy an expensive key to get a cheap piece of plastic boot ?

I bought my bike used, and it came with two keys and one boot.

Thanks !!

· Registered
10 Posts
Dealer. It can't be THAT expensive.
check out:

Go to the 3:50 second mark.

A new transponder key (with programming) cost this guy $120.
The blank alone is $65. There are much cheaper blanks on Ebay, but they don't have the sleeve.
The dealer tells me the sleeve doesn't have a part number. The only way to get the sleeve is to buy a $65 genuine Can Am blank.

Virtually every key for late model vehicles has a transponder chip in it for anti-theft.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm that guy that likes his "keys flapping in the wind attached to your belt" so I purchased this...
A little pricey, made of metal and very secure... I used blue loctite to secure the screws. Smaller profile then most....

· Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about replacing the boots but have found the boots effective. When just driving around town, I just put the key in my pocket. On long trips, I wear a lanyard with the keys to my trailer gate and the anti theft lock on it. When I get off the bike, I just put the key in the boot on the lanyard. All seems quite secure. We've taken several long trips amounting to 20K miles and I've had no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts