Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my step father is driving in from upstate New York today for my niece’s graduation. The decision in front of me is whether or not to take my Spyder or ride on the back of my husband Triumph.

I have had my bike for 2 weeks now. I rode it every day since I got it, with the exception of two day, where I was rained out. Usually for about an hour. Whether it was circles in a parking lot or driving in traffic, but I took breaks as needed. Smoked, got a drink, walked around….

I think that I can do this, but I am concerned about getting tired and or distracted. Do you find that it took you a while to build up to a long trip (about 50 miles, 1 hour one way). Did you get tired/distracted easily?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder, she is the BEST! but I am worried about getting that far away from home and then not being able to go any further.

What do you think? Easy to ride for an hour as a beginner or leave her at home?

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
You and your Husband are the only two folks on the planet who really know what you can and cannot do...
I don't know how much your medical condition affects your endurance, so do YOU feel comfortable at the thought of an Hour;s ryde?
I jumped on my Spyder right from the dealer for a 60 mile, hour and fifteen minute jaunt home... but I'm gifted with a lcak of common sense! :D
Talk with your other-half about this. WE don't want anything to happen to you! :)

· Premium Member
4 Posts
I did find today's hour and a half ride tiring, but not to the point of distraction. For me I know riding makes me hyper aware... A feeling I have grown to love. The fact that you are asking speaks to the fact that you are being cautious and wise, so trust your instincts and you'll make the right call. I build confidence from the stability provided by the structure of the bike, but always remain cognizant of the fact that i have limits. Enjoy, be safe and i will be rooting for you whichever you decide! :)

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how much your medical condition affects your endurance, so do YOU feel comfortable at the thought of an Hour;s ryde?
I jumped on my Spyder right from the dealer for a 60 mile, hour and fifteen minute jaunt home... but I'm gifted with a lcak of common sense! :D
Talk with your other-half about this. WE don't want anything to happen to you! :)
I get fatigued easily and have unpredicable muscle spasms, yes I have handicap tags on my Spyder, isn't that sad. But I know when I am reaching the OH GOD I CAN"T MOVE limit and don't go any further for awhile and rest.

I am gifted with the same lack of common sense which I guess is why I am being so cautious this time. I understand the risks of a motorcycle and the damage that I can do to myself and others. I don't want that.

I guess we can map our a route and include frequent breaks. Stop, drink, recoup. But then an hour road trip becomes a day long affair.

· Registered
160 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else--but as for me--I find that I have to push myself a little out of my comfort zone. Kind of like the 1st time I got on the highway--I just had to make myself do it. I was nervous, so I got on, rode for a mile, and then exited. I reflected on it, and then got back on and rode for a while. Just cruised at 75mph to experience it...how fast I was gaining on people, what I needed to do to execute a lane change, etc. I think baby steps are important, but the main point is to KEEP MAKING STEPS. Don't ever do anything you feel will exceed your skill level. But if you feel like you can--I would suggest that you at least try.

My thoughts...

Andy

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well and that is what I was thinking. I really had to convenience myself that I could ryde into town on Wednesday and honestly if my husband had not threaten to withold dinner, I probably would not have done it.

So I am trying to figure out if I am over analysising the situation or if I am really not ready. It is a fine line and I don't know which side I am on.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
He threatened to withhold DINNER??? :eek: Them's fighting words!! :p
ABQ made a good point... sometimes you have to push just a little to see what you are capable of. I wouldn't normally suggest this; BUT... as long as you know when enough is enough I'm sure that you'll be okay!!
I admire both your courage and restraint in this new endeavor!! :cool:

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was incentive. Once we got on the road and stopped at the first set of lights he asked me if I was OK and told me we could turn around and go home. By then I was feeling pretty good and just wanted to go.

There is no reason to admire me, I do what is necessary to work around the cards that I was dealt. But I appreciate the thought.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm a firm believer in listening to ones gut.....If you have to ask, you may not be ready to take on this trip as yet..However if this is confidence driven then you will be able to decide...Have fun and enjoy the ride no matter whose wheels you are on...

Gail

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I agree with Ohema52. If you're questioning enough to ask, then its best to ride with your hubby and enjoy the festivities when you arrive, instead of taking the chance on being too worn out to have fun.

You'll be ready soon, take your time for now and give yourself a break!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.