Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's in town so I took him for a spin on the RTS. I discovered what it takes to get a front wheel up with him aboard.

I'm not used to having 200+ pounds riding pillion. I stiffened up the rear suspension. Front shocks are already preloaded to the max as I go 230-250 pounds depending on proximity of my military PT test. I loaded a couple extra psi in the front tires as well. I jet around a corner at an intersection at my normal speed and whoop the inside wheel was UP. No nanny. No nothing. I about pooed myself.

I'm kind of glad it happened to keep me honest. I was starting to get a little overly trusting on it.

Anyone else lift a wheel on an RTS yet? If so, how'd ya do it? And did the nanny tattle on ya?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard a big "OH SHIFT" from the back, which was almost apropo given nearly that same condition in my pants.

I was extra leary on freeway, sitting forward and leaning hard into the curves, while navigaing the curves at lower than posted speeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mishapman, which branch of the service? and taking a PT test should have you pumped up enough to muscle some tight turns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for your service Brother. I did 17 active in the Army; then pulled the plug and went civilian for 8 more. now I'm enjoying retirement, and working my butt off. ;) life is good... :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dad's in town so I took him for a spin on the RTS. I discovered what it takes to get a front wheel up with him aboard.

I'm not used to having 200+ pounds riding pillion. I stiffened up the rear suspension. Front shocks are already preloaded to the max as I go 230-250 pounds depending on proximity of my military PT test. I loaded a couple extra psi in the front tires as well. I jet around a corner at an intersection at my normal speed and whoop the inside wheel was UP. No nanny. No nothing. I about pooed myself.

I'm kind of glad it happened to keep me honest. I was starting to get a little overly trusting on it.

Anyone else lift a wheel on an RTS yet? If so, how'd ya do it? And did the nanny tattle on ya?
Happened for the first time yesterday. I was on the bike by myself and was making a left hand turn in an intersection, the car in front of me was taking it so slow, I decided at the last second to maneuver around the outside since there were 3 lanes to go in to. and as I made the quick sharper left with a little acceleration my left tire went up about 4-5 inches and I felt I was balancing the bike on the right tire, oh my :eek:, well it lasted probably a half second that felt like 3 seconds :p I rode a tad bit safer home. Oh and my nanny didn't feel like it kicked in but I am sure it did.;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm in the Air Force. Twenty years down...three to go!
Air Force? Oh, I'm sorry. I guess you wanted to find out if you would like the military so you joined a semi-military group to get something of a feel for it. Just kidding:) I spent almost 22 years in the Army. Loved it. The only reason I retired when I did was because I had been stationed in Maryville, Tennessee for 7 years (recruiter) and Maryville was more "home" than my hometown in Alabama. The Army was about to give me a multi-man station in Appleton, WI and I don't like the cold. I had more than 20 under my belt so the wife and I decided that I would call it quits and we'd retire in Maryville. We're still here 21 years later. David

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha... I tried to go in the Army, but was rejected. Apparently I passed my ASVABs and was considered overqualified for the Army.

Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for the Army. I was stationed at Landstuhl for three years and left a little piece of my heart with every Soldier, Sailor, Marine, and Airmen that passed through my OR on their way home from the wars. I've taken care of more heroes than anyone should have a right to. Best...and toughest...job I've ever had. I'm blessed to have experienced it, but for the sakes of the heroes and their families, just wish it wasn't so damn much experience.

You Roll Tide or War Eagle Alabama? Did a couple years in Montgomery before coming to Vegas.

Dnd thanks for your service. Glad retirement's treatin' ya well. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hahaha... I tried to go in the Army, but was rejected. Apparently I passed my ASVABs and was considered overqualified for the Army.

Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for the Army. I was stationed at Landstuhl for three years and left a little piece of my heart with every Soldier, Sailor, Marine, and Airmen that passed through my OR on their way home from the wars. I've taken care of more heroes than anyone should have a right to. Best...and toughest...job I've ever had. I'm blessed to have experienced it, but for the sakes of the heroes and their families, just wish it wasn't so damn much experience.

You Roll Tide or War Eagle Alabama? Did a couple years in Montgomery before coming to Vegas.

Dnd thanks for your service. Glad retirement's treatin' ya well. :)
You obviously are in the medical field. I'm sure all the wounded appreciated your care. I don't want to get too far away from the purpose of the group (Spyders) but I will continue for just a brief moment. Although I like both Alabama and Auburn football, a person doesn't live in East Tennessee without becoming a University of Tennessee Volunteer fan - hardcore. My blood is orange. Second favorite team is Boise State. Never been to Idaho but love the Bronco's. Been a fan of theirs for about 8 years. Is Vegas home or are you just stationed there? In any case hope to see some of you guys in Maggie Valley in June. David

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nellis

Mishapman, are you at Nellis? I spent 4 years there in the early 80's as an aircraft mechanic with the 474th EMS. Still miss being around the aircraft. I was also stationed at Bentwaters in England for 3 years. The wing patch ( 81st Tactical Fighter Wing) had a pretty cool dragon on it . I am thinking about having it painted on my RTS. Take care, ed mcmillan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been at Nellis for going on 2 years now working at the hospital in the OR. I'm from Ohio so I'm not overly fond of the weather here. However, it is fantastic for riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Mishapman, thanks for the reply. I would not volunteer to live in Vegas, too hot. Do you have any overheating problems with your Spydeer there? I have to keep the rpm up on my Spyder here in NY or it gets very close to the red.
When I lived in Vegas I owned a KZ1000 LTD which I would use to go up to Mt. Charleston or other places to get out of the heat. I only spent 9 years in the Air Force. Now I am a Nurse Practitioner. Take care. ed mcmillan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only bought my RTS in October, so it hasn't gone through the blistering summer yet.

High rpms keeps it OUT of the red? Am I reading that right? I would think higher RPM = higher temps.

Love cruising around Vegas. Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead. Have been to Mt Charleston many times, just not on the Spyder yet. Almost went up today...but gotta watch the Steelers in a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Overheat

Mishapman; yes , apparently low rpms = overheat. I had the problem here in NY this summer. I discussed it with the mechanic who said he thinks it may be an inherent wekness in the waterpump/cooling system. Keeping the rpms higher than normal will result in more water pump action. Below 50 mph or so, I operate in a lower gear than I would on another bike. It has made a difference in operating temperature but , of course, results in even poorer gas milage.
Hopefully you won't experience this. I may consider a waterpump change, maybe put the question out to the forums. Take care, ed mcmillan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mishapman; yes , apparently low rpms = overheat. I had the problem here in NY this summer. I discussed it with the mechanic who said he thinks it may be an inherent wekness in the waterpump/cooling system. Keeping the rpms higher than normal will result in more water pump action. Below 50 mph or so, I operate in a lower gear than I would on another bike. It has made a difference in operating temperature but , of course, results in even poorer gas milage.
Hopefully you won't experience this. I may consider a waterpump change, maybe put the question out to the forums. Take care, ed mcmillan
With my RS the temp gauge runs about 3 bars on the open road with air temp in the 45-55 degree range. However when I am in town in stop and go traffic with the same air temp the temp gauge runs about 3 quarters, not in the red but close. However it cools quickly once I clear traffic and pick up speed. I haven't tried your method of keeping rpm's up but may try it come hot weather. David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Me Too

Don't know whether to say oh S**t or WOOT! Lifted the LF wheel the other day, 2 up, making a sharp left into a road curving slightly to the left, with road camber sloping to the right. Twisted the loud handle and up she went. Backed off a might and it just gently eased back to earth. No lights, bells, whistles, just a sharp comment or so from my co-pilot. Now that I know how to do it, I now know how not to do it. Just turned over ~900 miles, so the learning curve is flattening out. And now, to take the BRP to the BRP later next month. We will learn a lot about each other then....

Slowly, Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, just the other day, had the wife on the back turned out of a shopping center parking lot and goosed the throttle, then the wife goosed me as the right front came off the ground, I too almost had an accident....lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts