Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I RODE IN WOODBRIDGE! I left the house went down Waterway, then Cardinal, then Rt 1. We stopped for dinner. Then down Opitz, to Gordon Blv and then up Dale Blv, back to Cardinal and Waterway.

I drove in traffic! I started on some steep hills and I started without rolling back at all. My husband said that I mastered the clutch. He was impressed.

I DID IT! I DID IT! I am feeling pretty good right now. Now to master the turns.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congratulations!! It only gets better from here. :D If you haven't practiced the swerve yet--I would recommend it. I had to use it the other day in traffic and was glad I was comfortable with it.

--Andy

·
Registered
24 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! Stopping and starting on inclines is tough for many to master..Great job...The turns will come with practice.......
I also went out tonight with a friend-she on her MC - we headed out to the country to have me practice riding with MC's..Great feeling to accomplish our goals..Ice cream wasn't bad either!!! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a great feeling to build your confidence handling the twisties, big hills, congestion, etc. Congrats on making such progress!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations!! It only gets better from here. :D If you haven't practiced the swerve yet--I would recommend it. I had to use it the other day in traffic and was glad I was comfortable with it.

--Andy
I will practice the swerve this weekend to make sure that I am comfortable with it. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting and stopping on inclines was one of the reason I was so nervous about heading into a city and when I got stopped at a light midway up a hill, my first thought was "CRAP!". But I got it, I really got it. My husband was surprised, he thought I was going to roll back, he gave me lots of room.

I am think about this much like when I was learning to drive a stick and trying to apply some of the same principals. A little gas, slowly releasing, get off the brake!

Now the only question is do I handle turns the same way, I always take a turn in a manual car in second gear going between 15 and 25 MPH, does that work on the Spyder too?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a great feeling to build your confidence handling the twisties, big hills, congestion, etc. Congrats on making such progress!
This is the best feeling ever! I told a friend at work that the spyder is doing wonders for my MS depression. I feel like I can do anything! It is such a feeling of freedom in an otherwise limited life. I actually forget about the limitation and I just ride, it is GREAT!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GREAT NEWS!! :D As you skills grow, so will your confidence! :cool:

A word of caution though... please take care that your confidence doesn't get ahead of your skills... :eek:
Oh don't worry, I know how far I can push and I stay shy of it. My husband told me I couldn't have dinner unless I rode into Woodbridge. He knew I could do it, I just wasn't sure. He was right. He check with me at the first set of lights and said we could turn around if I wasn't ready. By then I was doing OK so decided to continue.

Taking it slow and having fun. I still have not touched I-95, the highway scares me. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Be careful as you work on your turns. I would suggest an open parking lot to start with. You have to figure out what your turning radius is and how to apply throttle...and when to play in the friction zone if you have a clutch. I went to the lot where I took my MSF safety course yesterday and was working on some hard turns. I finally got the VSS to kick in (1st time I've ever felt that), so that was kind of cool.....learning where the limits are. Much safer doing that in an empty lot than trying to figure it out in traffic.

Hope that is helpful.
Andy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Andy, yes that is very helpful. I went to a parking lot last weekend and tested the turns. I think I know what I can't do, I just need to figure out what I can. :D

It is one huge learning process and I am loving it!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Great job!!!! :D Do remember that the cars behind you probably can't stop as quickly as you can, so give them plenty of warning with the brake light that you're slowing down. Tapping it gets their attention before you put solid pressure on it, especially if they're gawking at your ryde!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job!!!! :D Do remember that the cars behind you probably can't stop as quickly as you can, so give them plenty of warning with the brake light that you're slowing down. Tapping it gets their attention before you put solid pressure on it, especially if they're gawking at your ryde!
My husband is riding directly behind me right now to "keep people off my butt". I will try and remember to flash my lights so it becomes a habit. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I know the feeling of progress! I have finally gone from home to work (an hour and a half commute) on my Spyder and it was such a great experience... Fully comfortable with manual clutch and 5 speed shifting... Something that until just over three weeks ago I had never done. My brother taught me and every day encouraged me to get out and practice... Its not a complete day unless I go for a ride! SO happy! Congrats on the progress you are making! You can do it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts